What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffee fertilizer??

Can anyone teach me how to fertilize nepenthes with coffee? Please tell me as much details as possible :hail:
Thanks ^_^

It's a pretty simple process. All you have to do is let the extra coffee you have cool down and pour it into the soil until you're certain that it has reached most of the root surface or started to drain out of the bottom. In my experience, richer coffee has given me better results, but I try to rinse out a day after with RO water just to be safe. After you've rinsed out the pot a day later, then all you need to do is wait until you start to see the results :cool: . Also, make sure you don't use any fake filtered coffee or what-not. . . as long as it came straight from ground-up beans then you should be good :). (and no creamer :p)

theres a thread specifically for this :) search tool is there for a reason ;)

no decaf, instant or flavored coffee if at all possible. lance's steps are right on. the coffee can sit in the soil for longer than a day but you def want to make sure it gets rinsed out in under a week. i just let the following watering do the rinsing.

In case you missed what I linked to in the chat box, I made a tutorial on this a while back. May save you the reading if you get bored by words. Covers every single step I go through when using coffee on Nepenthes.

You are that nepenthesis? The one obsessed with the Japanese song?

theres a thread specifically for this :) search tool is there for a reason ;)

no decaf, instant or flavored coffee if at all possible. lance's steps are right on. the coffee can sit in the soil for longer than a day but you def want to make sure it gets rinsed out in under a week. i just let the following watering do the rinsing.

Why not decaf?

I think the defacinating par also removes some of the benefitial properties of the coffee.

The way I make it is 2-3 heaping tablespoons of
coffee and a 12 cup coffee pot. I don't drink coffee very often and wife had a coffee pot when I married her. So I make a pot of coffee cool it with ice or what not pour into a gallon pump sprayer and fill the rest of the way with cool water. For my darts I just pour the pot into the circulating water. Its so larger it gets very dilute so I'll make some for several days in a row and add to the water.

There is no exact science to the madness. I don't even know why someone decided to try it. I haven't used it long enough to tell a difference and I don't have controls if I did. I know I hit them about once a month with it but I know sine people who use coffee one week, fertilizer the next then coded the next week and keep rotating like that. So there really isn't a regimen and so manydifferent ways to do the same thing. Get you a routine down and go.

decaf may or may not have less of the nutrients that will help your plants. this is why i say if at all possible. regular untreated coffee would be my recommendtion but if you want to use decaf, go for it.

I like my plants jacked up on caffeine!!

I hate to think what could happen to my Nepenthes fusca if I watered it with coffee. Does this actually work?

Most of the people who have fertilized with coffee report major growth spurts. I have never tried it, but I will definitely attest to the use of Maxsea fertilizer. I water every Sunday and fertilize with a very dilluted maxsea every other Sunday. Ever since I started this regimen my plants have picked up growth tremendously.

"Only for Nepenthes..."

Objection! I poured some coffee on my terrestrial Utricularia to get rid of snails and slugs, which seems to have worked, and also the Utricularia treated this way have had more rapid growth than before.

Check out this thread. BigBella has some really amazing plants and got great results with coffee. Hope it helps. I just watered my Nepenthes the other day with coffee and flushed it last night...hoping to see good results. Good luck!

I hate to think what could happen to my Nepenthes fusca if I watered it with coffee. Does this actually work?

Fertilizer application of any kind is only something you want to do with fully established plants that are growing happily. Pushing unwanted nutrients on a plant that is struggling to acclimate will not help, and in fact may injure the plant.

Back