What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to Repot Attenboroughii Seedlings?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I've talked to a few people about this in chats but I haven't gotten a straight answer. I have six attenboroughii seedlings, all with 2-3 pitchers on them. Some of them are starting to make larger pitchers. The leaves on one may be 1/2mm in width even. They have 2-3 carnivorous leaves each.

When could I repot them? I know there is a critical period when I must do it. I planted them in late December (IIRC) and they sprouted sometime in January. They're a couple mm across I would assume, maybe like 2mm across IDK. I can get pictures if needed but they may be deceptive since I'll have to zoom in and such.

Is there a general rule for repotting? What medium should I repot them in? When can I move them into the greenhouse? I don't want to do this prematurely, so I'd like to do this at the SAFEST time to repot them.

Thanks for any info! :)

What media/container are they in now?

I'm going to repot mine whenever they reach about two inches across.

I repotted my jambans after like 1.5years+ since they were starting to grow all over each other. I don't think it really matters unless the dirt is bad or they're too close.

I've started repotting now with the average # of pitchers at 4-5. Are they in Sphagnum? If not then they could probably be OK until it starts getting crowded. From what I have been told, they like chunky media. I have mine in peat, perlite, some sphagnum strands, chopped up orchid bark & laterite.

I've started repotting now with the average # of pitchers at 4-5. Are they in Sphagnum? If not then they could probably be OK until it starts getting crowded. From what I have been told, they like chunky media. I have mine in peat, perlite, some sphagnum strands, chopped up orchid bark & laterite.

Yeah, they're in super chunky Sphagnum. There is some algae growing on the top too... Not the BEST medium but IDK. I mean, they're growing, so... :p

I guess I'll just keep them potted for a year or so that way I don't kill them. The algae isn't too bad, it isn't like slime-coated Sphagnum. It just tinted the Sphagnum a bit darker.

When do you guys think I could move them out to the greenhouse?

Hi, sorry to bump this again, but the pots they're in are growing mold. The biggest and fastest growing of them all has three carnivorous leaves and the two others are close behind. The other two that I didn't mention turned yellowish.

So I'm thinking of repotting... Should I carefully pull them out and do so? Would I put them back in the same conditions and then acclimate them to GH living?

yea seedlings are prone too damp-off when kept too wet and not enough air circulation. whatever you're going to do you it's better soon than later I would treat with a fungicide and repot them in pure live sphagnum

yea seedlings are prone too damp-off when kept too wet and not enough air circulation. whatever you're going to do you it's better soon than later I would treat with a fungicide and repot them in pure live sphagnum

Just repotted in pure live sphag in my nice, clean giant cube tank with all of my other seedlings. They were at the stage where they had a 1cm single root. Most of them at least. One of them I THINK will definitely make it, it looks super vigorous. Big leaves, growing quick.

IE: late 2015! ;-)

When mine get that big I'll just sell them on eBay for like $7,000. At this rate, the prices are bound to climb even higher. Especially when people are paying $500 for 1/2cm plants...

Don't be too quick to replant the seedlings. Nepenthes have notoriously piss-poor roots during early development; and I've kept many seedlings in the same containers for upwards of two years or more . . .

Don't be too quick to replant the seedlings. Nepenthes have notoriously piss-poor roots during early development; and I've kept many seedlings in the same containers for upwards of two years or more . . .

I repotted them yesterday... The look fine today. I wouldn't have repotted them, but their old pots were full of mold and stuff.

I don't disturb/pot up seedlings until they are a year old, at least. As Dave said, they have weak roots at that stage.

Well too late now... But as I said, the pots were growing mold, so...

They took off since the repot! Putting out larger leaves and starting to make bigger pitchers. All three are doing well. Will be for sale on eBay in 2015 for $20,000 per seedling. :) (That was a joke... Haha...)

These things actual have some serious roots for only being a few months old! I packed one up for a trade this week and it had 3 roots the same length of the largest leaf. I like this species!

These things actual have some serious roots for only being a few months old! I packed one up for a trade this week and it had 3 roots the same length of the largest leaf. I like this species!

When I pulled mine up to repot, they had one taproot about the size of the largest leaf at the time... Yours must be pretty hardy ones then. Or you're just growing them better than I am haha.

I made a video of the seedlings that survived. One looks really good!

Back