What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting a Nepenthes cutting?

i will be receiving a N. 'Miranda' cutting soon (from one of the giveaways) and have been doing some reading on how to root it. I was wondering if there was a detailed guide somewhere on here? it doesnt seem very difficult to me (soak in water + superthrive for 20min, make small cuts at base of stem, wrap base of stem in Moist LFS and put in to a pot, cover with a baggy for humidity and put in bright light.) does that sound like a good plan, or am i missing something?

Gexx

Last edited:
i will be receiving a N. 'Miranda' cutting soon (from one of the giveaways) and have been doing some reading on how to root it. I was wondering if there was a detailed guide somewhere on here? it doesnt seem very difficult to me (soak in water + superthrive for 20min, make small cuts at base of stem, wrap base of stem in Moist LFS and put in to a pot, cover with a baggy for humidity and put in bright light.) does that sound like a good plan, or am i missing something?

Gexx

Thats pretty much it, yes. I would skip the Superthrive, though.....although people swear by it, its very questionable whether it has any value for most (if not all ) horticulture practices.
The ICPS has a good primer on Nepenthes propagation:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/Propagation/NepenthesPropCuttings.php

Miranda roots very well in lowland conditions

I actually got an unknown pulling yesterday from a rather large plant. It was too large to pot and put in my tanks so what I did was snip the vine end off, dip the pulled end in a rooting hormone, wrapped it in most LFS and put that into a gallon baggie that I set next to a sunny but cool window. Will this work?

I actually got an unknown pulling yesterday from a rather large plant. It was too large to pot and put in my tanks so what I did was snip the vine end off, dip the pulled end in a rooting hormone, wrapped it in most LFS and put that into a gallon baggie that I set next to a sunny but cool window. Will this work?

An "unknown pulling"?? What genus are we talking about here?

I meant unknown nepenthes. Sorry.

We should have a Sticky topic on how to root a new cutting :)

It really seems to be a matter of "what works for you may not work for janother". I'm good at rooting succulent and cacti cuttings but so far not one carnivorous one I have tried has taken. This is my first attempt at a pitcher plant though. My biggest issue always seems to be that I don't have or can't get all the stuff I need.

In terraria, stem in a glass of water is the simplest. Also cutting potted in moist sphagnum in it and the whole thing in a plastic bag for a month or two. Propagating plants by cuttings ain't rocket science.

Back