What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is my windowsill nepenthes setup/ drosera setup. ill be uploading more pictures periodically, when new stuff pops up :-D

The large guy/ girl (idk yet...) on top is the N. Miranda cutting i just received. i hope someone can tell me if its going to get enough light up there. its in dappled shade up until 5, then it will be in full sun until 830 or 9. the room temp is around 70 until 5pm, then it will jump to 80, then fall to 70 again at night (10 or 11). its pretty humid in my room with all the plants as well as my crawdad in his ten gallon fish tank :p

i fertilize after a plant has been with me for a month, fertilizing consists of a 1/4 or 1/2 strength 20-14-13 Orchid Fertilizer. i also feed when i find a bug of appropriate size. No fertilizer in the winter, just feeding through pitchers.

on bottom are N. 'Judith Finn", N. ventricosa, and N. glabrata.

ill post more pics soon... let me know what you think,

Gexx

i cant see the pictures, can anyone see them??

EDIT: i guess you have to right click, then open the picture in a new tab. i hope that's normal

Can't see them =(

did you try the right click thingy?

Copying the image url works.

:p

Nice plants. Wish I could give you some pointers but I haven't had the pleasure of growing neps yet. They look good to me, though!

Wonderful plants! Unfortunately I don't really have a big setup for my plants (unless you consider a one-foot-by-six-inches-by-six-inches terrarium made of plastic a big setup).

this is my windowsill nepenthes setup/ drosera setup. the room temp is around 70 until 5pm, then it will jump to 80, then fall to 70 again at night (10 or 11).
Gexx

Is 70F the lowest the temperature drops to?? Because that will be unsatisfactory for N. glabrata over the long haul, and even N. ventricosa won't enjoy warm nights indefinitely. How long have you had these plants? I'm guessing not long.

70 was a bit high. its drops to almost 65 most nights.

ventricosa- 6 months
Judith Finn- 3 months
Glabrata- very short time, maybe one week
Miranda- two days

i meant it would fall to 70 again at 10. forgot to add that it would drop to 65. i know that still isn't low enough (needing 50 degree nights), but its what i can do with what i have.

i am definately open to suggestions for the plants tho!!

With 65F night lows, you should be considering intermediate/lowland plants, not highland varieties. The glabrata will not enjoy those temps for long.

With 65F night lows, you should be considering intermediate/lowland plants, not highland varieties. The glabrata will not enjoy those temps for long.

would fans help?? ive got a box fan i turn on at night. i could open a window, but in the summer up here that might do more harm than good...

would fans help??

No, you need an actual drop in temperature. You need to rethink your choice of plants and choose those that are most likely to do well, given your climate restrictions. IE: choose intermediate-to-warm growing plants, preferably hybrids with mixed parentage, as these are more adaptable. N. Miranda is the archetypal example.

its seems like my glabrata is the only one i have that would not do so well...

Judith finn is mixed parentage.
Ventricosa can be grown as an intermediate
Miranda like you said, is an archetypal example.

and glabrata was evidently a bad decision...

I believe I did state that the other three would likely adapt; it was the glabrata I specifically cited as inappropriate for your conditions. The intended message was: don't buy MORE highlanders. ;-)

i didnt mean to sound rude or anything... i was restating just to make sure i understood what you were saying correctly. so Lowlanders from now on?? i could attempt a trade for my glabrata i guess... definately dont want to see him take a turn for the worse :(

the ventricosa and Judith Finn have put off new leaves and pitchers regularly, so i think they've already adapted.

thanks for the info Whim!!!!!

Happy growing,
Austin

i didnt mean to sound rude or anything... i was restating just to make sure i understood what you were saying correctly. so Lowlanders from now on??

I didn't think you were being rude or anything, just clarifying my point :)
Unless you are providing daytime temps in the mid-to-high 80s and never drop below 65 at night (70+ nights are better), you are better off choosing hybrids that have mixed parentage, preferably using plants that are known to be extremely tolerant of varied temperatures. Pure lowland species tend to need constant high humidity, and something tells me that isn't something you can offer either - just a guess. So, N. ventricosa hybrids are always a good bet, as are N. maxima hybrids, and N. alata hybrids, and probably some of the N. ampullaria hybrids (I'm thinking along the lines of N. Singapore Garden Tech, etc).

If you are new to Nepenthes, I think it is far better to select a group of plants that are likely to do really, really well for you, than just choosing the plants you like best, regardless of whether or not you can provide the climate they need. I encourage people to spend a year learning to grow the easy plants, and then start taking on the more challenging ones once you've gained some experience. On that note, I can offer you cuttings of N. Ventrata, which is extremely easy to grow.

do you grow highlanders?? if so, would you want to trade my glabrata for cuttings? i made a post in the trade section so it wont die because of me making a bad decision...

do you grow highlanders?? if so, would you want to trade my glabrata for cuttings? i made a post in the trade section so it wont die because of me making a bad decision...

I do grow highland specie/hybrids, yes, with a few intermediate hybrids. (See: http://nitrogenseekers.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/20130610-203757.jpg )

Thanks for the offer, but I already grow N. glabrata. I can probably still offer you some cuttings (maybe rooted, maybe freshly cut; I'll have to see whats out there) if you reimburse me for the cost of mailing.

Back