What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed Pod Forming? (Pics)

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I pollinated these flowers around April 9 or so. This is a N. veitchii x x 'Tivey'... I pollinated with N. vent x inermis (which someone I gave a bit of leftover pollen to reported didn't work on their Nep), I pollinated with N. ventricosa red (which someone I gave a bit of leftover pollen to reported DID work on their Nep) and some scraps of N. veitchii pollen that was super old and doesn't work.

24n0fn7.jpg

ih3asm.jpg

29593rp.jpg

The bottom 1/3 of the flowers was pollinated with N. vent x inermis. The middle 1/3 and bit into the bottom of the top 1/3 of the flowers was pollinated with N. ventricosa red. The the upper part of the top 1/3 was pollinated with N. veitchii.

The flowers on the very top of the stalk is much smaller than the rest of the flowers, which would hint that either the top flower is usually the smallest OR it didn't get pollinated with the N. veitchii pollen.

If you look at the bottom photo, it looks like some are longer than the others and they look like they're forming, but if you put it in size perspective with the rest of the plant, they're all about the same size. So does this hybrid just make small pods? What's the deal? Are my seed pods forming, or were they all duds? How long does it take them to form to time of harvest?

Hmm so it's been a little over 2 months... General rule of thumb is about 5 months for pods to mature, give or take a few weeks as it's somewhat dependent on the mother plant as well as temperatures while the pods develop.

Usually you can see the pods elongate at least 2 if not 3 or 4 times the size of their original size before they were pollinated. I think by now you would have noticed if some were considerably larger. Unfortunately, I am not really seeing much pod development in the photo, but that's partly due to the difficulty to really see all the pods clearly as well as get a size perspective. Doesn't look too promising but there is still a small possibility you might end up with a few seeds.

I agree with what Tony said: at two months from pollination, those pods should be much larger than they are now. It doesn't look promising. :-( If it makes you feel any better, you can share in my crop of N. ventricosa X (inermis X bongso) in about 3 months.

Hmm so it's been a little over 2 months... General rule of thumb is about 5 months for pods to mature, give or take a few weeks as it's somewhat dependent on the mother plant as well as temperatures while the pods develop.

Usually you can see the pods elongate at least 2 if not 3 or 4 times the size of their original size before they were pollinated. I think by now you would have noticed if some were considerably larger. Unfortunately, I am not really seeing much pod development in the photo, but that's partly due to the difficulty to really see all the pods clearly as well as get a size perspective. Doesn't look too promising but there is still a small possibility you might end up with a few seeds.

Well I'll just take that as there is no hope. I don't want to get my hopes up to have them dashed, and honestly I kinda agree. That's why I posted this topic, I was worried about their development. :(

I agree with what Tony said: at two months from pollination, those pods should be much larger than they are now. It doesn't look promising. :-( If it makes you feel any better, you can share in my crop of N. ventricosa X (inermis X bongso) in about 3 months.

Alright, well I guess I tried... I don't see what I did wrong, I pollinated to where there was visible pollen on most flowers if you looked at them closely enough. They had a strong scent so I knew when they were ripe, and plus they were making nectar, so bleh. I guess that makes my seed pollination tutorial on YouTube invalid baha! :awesome:

And sure, if you still want to give a few seeds up then, I'd be happy to grow a few out. :D

From the sound of it 2 of the 3 were no good from the start with poor pollen. As for the N. ventricosa attempt, hard to say. Perhaps the timing was off when you did the pollination. Perhaps the two just weren't meant to be... Or perhaps the other person thinks their pods are good when they are in reality not and they just don't know it yet ,because this pollen was also defunct, and Nepenthes pods will often grow and appear like they are forming well with lots of seed and turn out empty!!!! (happens way more than you might think).

From the sound of it 2 of the 3 were no good from the start with poor pollen. As for the N. ventricosa attempt, hard to say. Perhaps the timing was off when you did the pollination. Perhaps the two just weren't meant to be... Or perhaps the other person thinks their pods are good when they are in reality not and they just don't know it yet ,because this pollen was also defunct, and Nepenthes pods will often grow and appear like they are forming well with lots of seed and turn out empty!!!! (happens way more than you might think).

Maybe N. veitchii x x 'Tivey' is sterile? Or is this hybrid known to produce seeds?

Hard to say.. I have plants that flower and never have produced seed no matter how many times I have tried. Others will set seed but only when crossed with certain things. I would think that N. veitchii x Tiveyi should be fertile as all the parents in it are all closely related.

Hard to say.. I have plants that flower and never have produced seed no matter how many times I have tried. Others will set seed but only when crossed with certain things. I would think that N. veitchii x Tiveyi should be fertile as all the parents in it are all closely related.

Ah, okay... So since the vent pollen worked (or so I was told) for someone, I probably pollinated the flowers wrong. :lol:

If the pods won't form, when would the flower stalk die and/or the flowers fall off?

Back