What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello! :)
I have a couple of questions, I'm planning on making my aquarium into a highland nepenthes tank. It's kind of small, 50x33x27 cm, but I think that it's big enough for the moment since 8 pots fits inside and there's still allot of space between them.
I know this tank isn't big enough for long time growing but I'm going to start with smaller plants and then when it's needed I'm going to buy a new, bigger tank. I've been thinking about getting some species from Sumatra, Nepenthes Aristolochiodes and Jacquelineae for example.
The light fixture I have is a T5HO fixture, 2x24 watt tubes(http://www.wexthuset.com/vaxtbelysning/t5-lampor-lysror/lightwave-t5-2x24-w-p1) with 3300 lumen.
I'm going to buy a small computer fan to get some air circulation as soon as possible.
The humidity in the tank is around 88% and the temperature during the day is about 23 C.

But my big problem is the night temperature. Right now it stays at about 23 C during the night, and with frozen water bottles I'm able to get it down to about 14 C, but the humidity drops drastically from 88 % to about 65 %. And these Nepenthes need around 10-13 C and about 80 % humidity during the night and 70 % during the day if I'm correct. I've been searching like crazy for a solution for this problem. The best I've found is thermo electric cooling, some say it works, some say it doesn't. But I have no experience at all with that so I have no idea.

Another thing I've found is to get an AC and hook it up with a humidifier, but that seems pretty overkill for a tank this size.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
That highland Nepenthes require such saturated nighttime humidity, is a bit of a myth. That temperature drop is far more important in the long run; and the humidity will later rise.

Another effective solution is to provide humidity trays under your pots -- undriained seed flats with a layer of gravel, with water added to just below its surface. As that evaporates, the humidity rises. Nighttime misting could also be of help . . .

Okay, so the 14 C is okay?
And will the lightning be enough or do you guys recommend anything else?

That highland Nepenthes require such saturated nighttime humidity, is a bit of a myth. That temperature drop is far more important in the long run; and the humidity will later rise.

Another effective solution is to provide humidity trays under your pots -- undriained seed flats with a layer of gravel, with water added to just below its surface. As that evaporates, the humidity rises. Nighttime misting could also be of help . . .

You can also put hydroton on the bottom of an aquarium, the stuff is cheap and easy to clean

I think 14C should be low enough for most HL neps.

Back