What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob question

Is there highland and lowland nepenthes? what's the difference, and how do I know which mine are?

Yep, there are highland and lowland Nepenthes, as well as intermediates. The only way to really tell the difference is if you know your plant's species; something like Nepenthes hamata is considered highland, something like Nepenthes fusca would be considered intermediate, and something like Nepenthes ampullaria would be considered lowland. As for the difference, they're native to areas of different elevation. Lowlanders tend to have high temperatures in the eighties or nineties, whereas highlanders have much lower temperatures around the seventies, as well as a nightly temperature drop. Both types both require their high humidity.

And don't worry about noob questions! We've all asked them before.

Is there highland and lowland nepenthes? what's the difference, and how do I know which mine are?

What do you know about your plants? Do they have names? That is a good place to start.

nepenthes 'gentle' and 'mixta' if that helps

Both are N. maxima hybrids, which are typically adaptable to a wide range of conditions.

I have both, and they survive perfectly well in both my ultra-lowland summer conditions and the intermediate conditions in winter.

I have both, and they survive perfectly well in both my ultra-lowland summer conditions and the intermediate conditions in winter.
So, I could keep it outside in the summer, and when it starts to cool down, I should move it to my frog room (high humidity, 74 degrees, and a little cooler at night)?

Where are you located? As logn as your temperatures are reasonable, the only thing I'd be worried about is them not being acclimated to bright sun, but in a semi-shaded area they should do fine!

Back