What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I have...

- 3, 1cm (not counting pitchers) N. attenboroughii seedlings (Sprouted mid January)
- 40+/-, .75cm ventricosa seedlings (Sprouted in May)
- 10+/- .75cm Random hybrid seedlings (Sprouted in May)

all in my seedling terrarium thingy. Today I went out into my greenhouse and looked in a bowl of completely dried-up, crispy Sphagnum and found a freshly sprouted Nepenthes seedling in it. I guess that proved my greenhouse to be seedling-safe. It is about 80% humidity during the day and 90% at night, maybe 70% during the day on a very hot day. It gets sun from around 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM in the summer and maybe 2 hours of sunlight in the winter per day, the rest of the day it is in bright shade.

I really want to get my seedling terrarium out of my room, so would it be okay to move the seedlings out into my GH? Of course I'd move a pot with a few ventricosa out first, then if those do well, the rest of the vents, then the attens if it goes perfect. I guess I'd keep them bagged for a while and shaded from the sun. So would it be okay or is this like a completely derpy idea and it is typical to grow them inside for like a year before releasing them into the GH?

Here's a video of my GH if you haven't seen it before...

Nobody has any thoughts on this? :(

I grow all of mine in plastic containers with vents inside and once they get three or four pitchers I move the containers into my shade house outside. After they've been there about a week I slowly open the lids more and more until they harden off to the less humid conditions outside.

That being said, where I live there isn't much temp difference between inside and outside. Oh and I also keep them under the tables where they only get indirect sunlight outside so they don't cook in the plastic containers.

Thanks! :)

I moved them (and by them I mean a couple N. ventricosa) out to the GH... They'll get night temps in the mid 50s and day temps in the low 80s and 70s as usual. It'll be a sink or swim thing. No big losses, it was a pot with just a couple sprouts. :)

Back