What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I do Nepenthes Stem Cuttings (Video)

Has anyone else had any success using this method?
I like it, definitely gonna try this method next time! Thanks
- James

Thanx, I needed that. Another great how-to video. Going to have to try this with my N. Deroose as the vine is getting out of hand. How high is the humidity in your greenhouse?

Thanx, I needed that. Another great how-to video. Going to have to try this with my N. Deroose as the vine is getting out of hand. How high is the humidity in your greenhouse?

Thanks Joni.....my green house RH is about 90 at nite and as low as 70 during the day....as you know, I have no humidifier. I have also had no problem rooted plants in my office at house temps and RH.

I've had almost no success with rooting cuttings in water, so I gave it up a long time ago. This makes me wonder if I should try it again. Given how much nepenthes dislike being waterlogged, it's amazing they do so well like that for so long.

WOW it looks really good!

I've had almost no success with rooting cuttings in water, so I gave it up a long time ago.

I too have had no success rooting in water, and I do slit the outer layers at the base of the cuttings, I just seem to have more success in LFS instead of water. It makes me wonder if there is some reason...

@ JrJ88
How often do you change the water in the rooting cups or don't you change the water because it evaporates? If that's the case then how many days (roughly) does it take before the water evaporates? Do you add Superthrive or any kind of rooting hormones in the rooting water?

Last edited:
WOW it looks really good!

I too have had no success rooting in water, and I do slit the outer layers at the base of the cuttings, I just seem to have more success in LFS instead of water. It makes me wonder if there is some reason...

@ JrJ88
How often do you change the water in the rooting cups or don't you change the water because it evaporates? If that's the case then how many days (roughly) does it take before the water evaporates? Do you add Superthrive or any kind of rooting hormones in the rooting water?

I never change or empty out the water.....I think you can see in the video the water level in the containers which I maintain by adding more water about every 3-4 days or when ever it needs it......they can't be allowed to get low on water. I use no hormones or other additives.

Back