What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small hanging pots for Neps?

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
So I have a ventricosa and miranda and was hoping to find some small hanging pots/baskets to put them in to hang from my wire grow rack.

Something like this... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AKG8WQ...e=395261&creativeASIN=B003AKG8WQ&linkCode=asn

Except I don't need that many. Any ideas? Or any easy DIY to do this? I feel like I'm over thinking it, but most times you don't see small enough pots or hangers in the stores to achieve what I'm looking for...both plants aren't very large at the moment, so a 6" pot would probably be plenty right now.

i just buy whatever pots i want, melt three holes in the top rim and use wire to create hanging basket :)

If you have a roll of sturdy galvanized wire, two pairs of pliers, heavy duty wire cutters AKA "aviator snips" and a cigarette lighter you can make your own hanging pots with plastic pots you already own.

Use the aviator snips to cut 3 wires the same length (12-18" or so) and use the lighter to heat up one end of the wire and drive clean holes into your pots. Use the pliers to bend the wires secured into the holes. Twist the three wires together at the top with the two pairs of pliers, make a rounded bend about 2" wide at the top to hang from and there you are.

If you don't have the tools handy see if you can borrow them, the cost of buying the tools (the heavy duty aviator snips especially) will make the project higher than any savings on just buying a few hanging pots.

Back