What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplant shock or *gasp* root rot!?

• Thread starter kwende
  • Start date
  • Tags
    rot
Hey guys,

I recently transplanted both my bical and amp into a single, large pot. I'm kind of running out of room and was hoping to do some consolidation. Anyway.

My bical has started showing the symptoms of either root rot or transplant shock and I need some help figuring out which (and what to do).

This is what they both look liked the day they were transplanted (about a week ago):

935898_10151733672464404_1476434671_n.jpg

And this is what they look like now (it is worth noting this was taken with two different cameras, so the color might be a bit different anyway):

598432_10151744727339404_1726039111_n.jpg

Which just makes me sick because I absolutely love these two.

The thing that worries me is that, in the first picture, you can see a bit of discoloration already going on with the Bical.

I only have ever used rain water. Help!? :-(

Hello sorry about your young neps :-(

Im not very experienced with nepenthes; the other members here will help you a lot more.

On the first photo, you already have some spots on the leaves. I think your plants had already some problem before repoting them, and the action of repoting them just make the problem running faster.
Maybe it was a bad timing for disturbing the roots.

Also, from my experience, when a nep have a setback after a repoting, the plant only stop growing for a while, maybe a pitcher or 2 will dry off. None of my nep was yellow like that after a repoting.

I hope your plants will recover!

Hello sorry about your young neps :-(

Im not very experienced with nepenthes; the other members here will help you a lot more.

On the first photo, you already have some spots on the leaves. I think your plants had already some problem before repoting them, and the action of repoting them just make the problem running faster.
Maybe it was a bad timing for disturbing the roots.

Also, from my experience, when a nep have a setback after a repoting, the plant only stop growing for a while, maybe a pitcher or 2 will dry off. None of my nep was yellow like that after a repoting.

I hope your plants will recover!

Here is a better photo (taken with the same camera as when I first transplanted it so the colors are more alike):

9530102397_dc347b975c_h.jpg

..and here is the terrarium they're in:

9532884718_fb1cf5856e_c.jpg

This looks like a fungus of some kind.

This looks like a fungus of some kind.

I've had some people on Facebook state or might have been due to a change in lighting.

This new pot is a lot taller and so the plants are a good three inches closer to the lights. That might have been the issue.

The weird thing is the pitchers seem happy, full of fluid, and even growing. I would expect sad pitchers.

...the current picture of their layout is after I lowered it. For the past week they've been about five inches closer to the lights than in the picture you see above.

There's something wrong with leaves in the 1st pic though, before the repotting. Those dark splotches are usually a sure sign of a fungus.

...should I try pulling it and spraying it with one of my fungus sprays? I have a Safer brand (sulfur-based). How would I best determine whether I have a fungus problem other than the discoloration...if I pull it from the pot and look at the roots, would I expect to see a fungus?

You can't SEE fungal infections, you can only see symptoms. That bicalcarata was clearly in trouble before you repotted it, but the repotting added insult to injury, I suspect. Do those plants get any air circulation??

The tank is open, but there are no fans. I can setup fans for the tank, however as that's not a problem.

Should I be thinking of taking cuttings, or do you think they'll pull through?

I just set a computer fan within the tank now to increase circulation. In addition, I've also sprayed the nepenthes with a sulfur-based fungicide. Still, I'm curious if this is enough or too little too late? If it is, should I be taking cuttings of the plant?

Might want to treat with Bayer advanced fungicide. Its a systemic and it it is fungal will help with it.

Sorry I didn't notice that other stuff on FB. I just keyed into the black spots indicated in the question.

No, I think you're right...it's definitely seeming to be fungus. I'll get some of the Bayer advanced. Thanks.

Back