What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity/temp questions..how low/high?

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Okay, my current setup consists of a three tiered, large grow rack enclosed with Plexiglas but with gaps at the corners and an open bottom, no glass (so I covered the rack with plastic). This rack has hinged doors so it's hard to totally enclose. I also have a large enclosed tank in the same part of the basement. During normal day to day use the tank has daytime humidity of 75% and nighttime of 85%. The grow rack has a daytime of 50% and not much of an increase during the night. Both have a daytime temp of 75f and a nighttime of 65f.

In the tank I currently have pitchering: hamata, vogelli, diatas, glabrata, two aristo crosses, sib, and hamate x venti.
In the grow rack I have maxima, red leopard, and my weird mirabillis that thinks it's not a LL plant.

Yesterday I "almost" completely enclosed the center part of the grow rack with plastic. In the front, for when the doors are opened I have overlapping plastic strips to help conserve humidity but allow me to reach in. My goal is to be able to raise the humidity high enough to be able to move some of the larger neps out of the tank to the rack. So far I found the following. 3:00PM 60% and 76f, 7:00PM 60% and 76f, 10:00PM (3 hours after lights were off) 70% and 70f, 1:00AM (don't ask why I was awake) 75% and 65f, 6:00AM 70% and 70f, 9:00AM (3 hours after lights on) 60% and 75f.

The space is 4' x 2' x 30" high. Lit by 2 4' long T8 shop lights and I have 2 computer fans running in there.

Would any of my listed species have issues acclimating to these conditions? I could finish enclosing the space but then I think I would need to find a way to cool it as I'm afraid the temps would rise to high.

Have you seen Butch's setup?? He runs T-5 HO right close to his helis and doesn't have a problem with temps. He pumps humidity in though one side with two fans blowing air across to the other side. Its almost totally enclosed with the lights. And the HO lights can get hot. Check out his setup. Maybe you could mimic that modded to your enclosure of course. Hamata can be acclimated to relative house humidity. I would assume 50% humidity wild be adequate. There are ways to increase it if needed though by piping in an ultrasonic humidifier.

Have you seen Butch's setup?? He runs T-5 HO right close to his helis and doesn't have a problem with temps. He pumps humidity in though one side with two fans blowing air across to the other side. Its almost totally enclosed with the lights. And the HO lights can get hot. Check out his setup. Maybe you could mimic that modded to your enclosure of course. Hamata can be acclimated to relative house humidity. I would assume 50% humidity wild be adequate. There are ways to increase it if needed though by piping in an ultrasonic humidifier.

I have seen the pictures, etc of his setup. Showed them to my husband who was not ready for me to get that "drastic". My other problem would be getting good ventilation if I totally enclosed the chamber.

The rack's walls are stainless steel rods running both horizontal and vertical, which is then covered with 1/2' thick Plexiglas. Rather difficult to cut through. So for now I have the fans at one end and the vent area opposite them. I've been afraid to add a mister in since the lights are not bottom sealed.

Right now I have three large plastic boxes with sheets of egg crate in them and the plants on the egg crate, or raised above depending on plant size.
I have read that having a constantly damp soil or moss layer at the bottom would raise the humidity. I would be afraid of fungus, etc though.

Right now I want to move the sib and aristo x spec but eventually others will be moved as well.

OK. Hmm did you buy the plexi or was it something you had?? I've worked with it before and used it to make a grow chamber one. ;-) old bus windows. Tore the heck out of a skill saw blade cutting it. Just make sure to flip the fine tooth blade backwards. Works great for siding too. Any who. The 1/2 inch is over kill. Lowes sells the foam lined with foil. I don't remember the price. But that's what Butch uses.

I would believe in an enclosed space moss under your plants would increase himidity. T-8 lights are not going to increase your temps all that much. Maybe enclosed they will. As far as increasing humidity goes. As well as controlling heat and such. Your options are limited. Butch's method while its enclosed is not fully. The air coming in brings in fresh air. And blows the mist across cooling and humidifying at the same time.

Also if you grow live LFS under your plants it will give pitchers someplace to inflate in and also the LFS acts as antifungal and antibacterial properties. You can also use a sulfur based fungicide to keep it at bay.

Rack came already equipped with the plexi installed, used to be a returns merchandise security rack.
photobucket-2983-1318687362671.jpg

I'm looking into small ultrasonics right now, too bad the battery operated ones with timers built in get lousy reviews.

Is that 1/2 in plexi?? Doesn't look that thick. Looking like the 1/8 inch thin flexible stuff. 1/2 is heavy stuff.

trust me, been measured, it's thick and not flexible, between it and the rack's walls, getting the lights in was not easy..4' lights also have cords coming out
took lots of pushing and swearing

OK I believe you. I'd take it down and either replace with the lined foam or thin plexi. I would use the foam because it is lined with the reflective surface and would get more light to the plants. Or take the plext down and line with with mylar or something. Might be less headache.

Back