What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When's The Season to Make Cuttings?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
My ventrata is out of control and I probably need to cut it... The longest vine would probably be about 4ft long if you laid it out flat, however I don't want to cut that one. I'd rather cut some that are hitting the walls of the greenhouse and producing bent leaves because of it. Training the vines doesn't seem to be an option.

So what is the best season to take cuttings?

As long as the plant is in active growth, it's ok to take cuttings, I believe. It might even be anytime.

As long as the plant is in active growth, it's ok to take cuttings, I believe. It might even be anytime.

All of my Nepenthes slow down significantly in winter and some even stop pitchering, which includes my ventrata. So I guess the best time would be mid next summer or end of spring when it is beginning to grow rapidly? ???

I'd say you can do it now, but maybe wait until someone like Kulamauiman or whimgrinder pipe in? I'm no expert.

I've taken cuttings at all times of the year; though, allowing them to establish themselves through the warmer months, especially if growing in cold-houses or outside, is certainly faster. A germination warming mat may also be helpful for rooting . . .

we don't really have seasons here :p. So cuttings happen when ever I got something to cut and space to root them

I root cuttings when I need to take cuttings, regardless of time of year. Late winter can sometimes take longer to root, but speed and ease of rooting is something that is hard-wired into the genetics of specific species/cultivars.

Back