What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. edwardsiana growers - come in!

I think it's a combination of seed grown variations and growing conditions. My AW clones has always been that dark, even when much smaller. The seed grown was lighter when I received it from Rob and has darkened in my cooler and brighter conditions.

Not to mention my temperatures as of late have not been falling below 64 at night, which generally limits anthocyanin expression. Under the same photo levels in the winter, I expect to see more color.

The Wistuba clone that Don and I both have is just a very dark one. It seems to be the fastest one Wistuba has, so that's predominantly what you'll see.

Last edited:
Not to mention my temperatures as of late have not been falling below 64 at night, which generally limits anthocyanin expression. Under the same photo levels in the winter, I expect to see more color.

Interesting! I've never figured that temperature would play much of a role in coloration; just light levels and nutrients.

Had to water a few things today, so snapped a couple pics while I had the grow chamber open..

Not to mention my temperatures as of late have not been falling below 64 at night, which generally limits anthocyanin expression.
Dave Evans came out with one of his interesting facts,neps apparently do not have anthocyanin ,maybe that's why we don't have antho free neps,looking damn fine Mass

BS that nepenthes don't have anthocyanin. Find me a scientific paper proving nepenthes do not contain anthocyanins and I'll gladly change my tune.

A quick search on wikipedia yields this, "Betalains are red or yellow pigments. Like anthocyanins they are water-soluble, but unlike anthocyanins they are indole-derived compounds synthesized from tyrosine. This class of pigments is found only in the Caryophyllales (including cactus and amaranth), and never co-occur in plants with anthocyanins." Some plants in Caryophyllales do have anthocyanin instead of Betalains, but again show me a paper saying nepenthes don't have anthocyanins.

Last edited:
Dave Evans came out with one of his interesting facts,neps apparently do not have anthocyanin ,maybe that's why we don't have antho free neps,looking damn fine Mass

Not Dave Evans, but here's a brief explanation by an Australian grower from 2011:

"As an aside, Nepenthes do not have anthocyanins. Being members of the order Caryophyllales, the red and yellow pigments of Nepenthes are Betalains (Betacyanins and Betaxanthins, respectively). Betalains have also been found in Drosera, and I suspect they are present in Dionaea as well. These pigments are of taxonomic significance and is one of the molecular links between Nepenthes and other plants such as cacti and the common beet (Beta vulgaris being the namesake of these pigments). Anthocyanins have not yet been found in plants with Betalains.

Cheers,

Chooka"

Read more: http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/thread/9785#ixzz2eQ8qWMUl

Last edited:
thanks for doing the leg work,it was just something that i remembered,cheers Mato

BS that nepenthes don't have anthocyanin. Find me a scientific paper proving nepenthes do not contain anthocyanins and I'll gladly change my tune.

A quick search on wikipedia yields this, "Betalains are red or yellow pigments. Like anthocyanins they are water-soluble, but unlike anthocyanins they are indole-derived compounds synthesized from tyrosine. This class of pigments is found only in the Caryophyllales (including cactus and amaranth), and never co-occur in plants with anthocyanins." Some plants in Caryophyllales do have anthocyanin instead of Betalains, but again show me a paper saying nepenthes don't have anthocyanins.
so i take it there are papers that say anthocyanins are in neps,getting far too clever for me

Actually I could not find any papers talking about pigmentation expression in Nepenthes when I searched on my schools scholarly article database which includes many of the major scholarly article databases. My reasoning is that betalains are rare in the plant kingdom compared to anthocyanins when it comes to pigmentation expression.

all this talk of pigmentations has me dozing off. :p

wake me when the eddie pics continue

Had to water a few things today, so snapped a couple pics while I had the grow chamber open..

ahh yes, now thats the stuff :D your plant is lookin very happy. dunno what sorcery is at work making the pitchers darken with maturity but i love the progression from yellowish orange to dark red

That pitcher popped solid green, and just keeps getting more and more color. I think it just comes down to how long it's been exposed to the light.

my seed grown from the batch pops em at an orange and then they end up dark red. even while inflating they are not green. very cool that yours is different in that way :)

Check the article I linked above.

Seeing as it isn't part of the "core" Caryophyllales, it appears Nepenthaceae doesn't fall within the betalain producing families of the order Caryophyllales, instead relying on anthocyanin production. It also appears betalain is not a synapomorphy for the order, as the above quote seemed to imply.

View attachment 2248

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...52881AD329D19D.d02t04?v=1&t=hle0of32&a891e23b

Where are the other papers?

Back