What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One single lonely flower...

So I was going to repot my N. Viking X ampullaria because it is crammed in a small two inch pot when I noticed it was sending out its first flower stalk!... or not. This "flower stalk" turned out to be only a single lone flower? Has anyone else ever seen this?

CP7202074_zpsc3b3c57c.jpg

CP7202072_zps738423dd.jpg

CP7202069_zpsdf527656.jpg

CP7202066_zpsceb9af94.jpg

CP7202058_zpsb3e00ab9.jpg

I got one more picture of it yesterday once the flower opened a little more and it brought me to another question. What are the small yellow portions of the flower between the petals and the ovary? I haven't seen these before. Thanks!

CP7202076_zpsb28bcc1e.jpg

So the flower finally died off today and it didn't produce any stalk after that... I still have no idea why it sent up that one weird flower???

My N. raff did that once, then later in its life has put out full stalks. I don't know what causes it, but it seems like it can be a one time thing, don't loose hope!
Andrew

At least you know it's a female now after that tease.

I got one more picture of it yesterday once the flower opened a little more and it brought me to another question. What are the small yellow portions of the flower between the petals and the ovary? I haven't seen these before. Thanks!

CP7202076_zpsb28bcc1e.jpg

Those yellow things look a lot like anthers. Perhaps this is a rare monoecious plant.
Keep an eye out for future flowers!

Those yellow things look a lot like anthers. Perhaps this is a rare monoecious plant.
Keep an eye out for future flowers!

I agree. Might have to wait until the pant puts out a mature inflorescence to be sure though. A friend of mine has some viking x rafflesiana that are flowering invitro. I'll see if I can get him to post some pics.

Wow! That would make my day to have a plant like that in the collection!! :D

Back