What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob-penthes grower needs help!

Having the tank next to a window if the temps drop that much could work I think. I keep a few small terrariums on my windowsill and they drop to about the outside temperature. And Paul is right. You NEED airflow. It sounds to me like your last truncata probably died from rot. Usually hard water will not kill nepenthes, but it WILL break down the media that it's in, and that will create bacteria loving conditions and your roots will rot, causing the whole plant to turn brown like you said before. I have a setup very similar to the one your describing and if I didn't have a fan blowing on my plants, they would surely rot in a short period of time. Especially if they're wet. And the water at the bottom of the tank that Drew is talking about, is good to keep the humidity, but you DON'T want your nepenthes to be sitting in it all the time. I think the few basic things you need to remember is that:
Neps:
* love moisture, although they hate to have waterlogged media. It will kill them faster than anything else in my experience. The sundews need to be kept sitting in water, but nepenthes will almost always rot that way (I say almost because there are people who grow them using the "tray method").
* highlanders NEED the drop in temps to grow well
* even ONE nepenthes will outgrow a 10 gallon in a few months. I started with a 20gal 9 months ago and I now have (literally) a porch full, two indoor terrariums (one 20 gal and one 40gal) and another indoor grow shelf that is bursting with plants. Even if you trim them back, they will very soon outgrow your setup and then you will have spent all of this money for nothing. With your budget I think the best thing to do would be to build a grow shelf like MATO has. You can check out his thread under the "greenhouse and terrarium" section on this forum. It's pretty much a grow rack that's been inclosed by reflective coated insulation (I got a huge 10ft by 4.5ft piece of it for $6!). There are T5 lights (if I remember correctly) on the top and an ultrasonic humidifier that blown into the area with a small computer fan to push the mist around and keep the air moving (essential!!!). If you can't do that, then at LEAST get a 55 gallon aquarium. If you truly only have room for a 10gal then you really don't have room to grow nepenthes. Although depending on where you live you can grow them outdoors or on a windowsill very happily. I hope you're able to put together something nice!

Depending on how my room turns out after I reorganize it, I may be able to bump up the size to 30gal, but I'm not growing more then a few plants, and definitely not keeping a full grown truncata or anything like that in it. Good thing I started a thread instead of just going ahead with the terrarium...

Edit: Just talked about it with my dad. He said that a 40gal or above might require reinforcing the floor and other such shananigans, so I'm capping at maybe 35gal

Edit (again): Turns out, my dad was joking about reinforcing the floor. This, combined with the fact that cleaning a terrarium doesn't really require moving it, means that I could go up to a 55gal terrarium. One question though; how do you get into it? Do you subdivide the lid, or what?

Last edited:
Can you tell me your house temps and climate zone (there are lots of maps, this doesn't require specific location)? If you want to grow a ventrata hybrid and you think the window will be cool enough, why not just grow it there? My ventrata loves my window.

I live in standard hardiness zone 6, and my house goes from about 72-lower than 72 day/night. Largely, the reasons I want a terrarium are 1) I have wnw facing windows, I.E. crap, and 2) I keep my bedroom at very low humidity, usually 10-15%. Outside of major changes to my lifestyle, growing Neps w/o a terrarium seems impossible. Can someone tell me if I should make 2 separate lids for the terrarium, each one covering one half of it, or if I should just make one enormous lid? also, how would using the gravel at the bottom of the terrarium be used to water? just fill up the tank slightly higher than the pebbles, and when it dries out I refill? Me and my dad are going to do some work in my room tomorrow, getting things nice, and I'll be able to provide some dimensions for the actual build.
Thank you all a bunch, a penny for all your thoughts seems like ripping you off at this point...

IMO, it. Is a monumentally bad idea to let Nepenthes sit in water; the roots will rot.

A lot of Nepenthes advice is contradictory. I grow mine in a sealed terrarium with no air flow and sitting in water. My plants love it (though I grow lowlanders).

Yeah, that might work for LLers, but I've had a few HLers rot from just too much misting, let alone sitting in water. I almost lost an ampullaria to lack of airflow as well. I think it's definitely in your best interest to have good airflow and have them NOT sit in water. The gravel and water thing is more to keep humidity high than it is a watering tactic. You're still going to need to mist/water them fairly often unless you get a misting system, but for only a few plants that seems ridiculous. Also, even with a 55 gallon tank, you'll only be able to hold a few neps in it for long. Drews thread is a good example of plants that are doing well in a terrarium, BUT most of them will soon outgrow it. There are only a few nepenthes species that will be able to live for more than a year or two in a terrarium. I've only been growing for 9 months, and many of the plants that could fit into a 20gal at first, are now plants that I've had to move to my porch or windowsill because they outgrew it. My terrarium is used for growing out seedlings and small plants. I find that once the plants outgrow the terrarium, they are much better suited to be hardened off to outdoor or lower humidity lifestyle.

I only want to grow a few plants, and I'm fairly certain that by selecting ones that don't get too big and trimming back often, I can keep them in a terrarium at least until I have to go to college. Also, my mom, the one I love due to being my mother and having the life experience to help me make choices, and the one I hate due to being my mother and butting into decisions I'm trying to make, has said I should get a plant first, live with (read; kill) it, and then build the terrarium. Question; with the set-up described thus far, how often would I need to water highland nep's?

Back