What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got some N. bicalcarata seeds in the mail yesterday, and I'm looking for input on growing media. I used Better-Gro Premium Orchid Moss that I chopped in a blender. I mixed that with an equal amount of plain peat moss and added a little medium grade perlite. Is this okay for germinating Nepenthes? I'll be surprised if any of these particular seeds actually germinate. I got them on ebay as one of those '10 seed' lots, which I'm guessing means they're kind of old... Oh well, doesn't hurt to hope :D The seeds are being kept at 84 degrees during the day and 68 degrees at night, with 90%+ humidity. Is there anything I should change?

Thanks.

20131122_210306_resized.jpg

First off, I can almost guarantee you won't get any sprouts, as all reports I've heard is that N. bicalcarata seeds live for maybe a week at most if not sown immediately. Next, never heard of Better-Gro orchid moss before, but if it has any kind of fertilizers in it, it won't work, and unless it's sphagnum moss, it is likely toxic to the plants. Last of all: should you be the one to have an anomaly seed that does sprout, bicals are notoriously ultra-lowland, meaning temps even in the high 60's can damage them in cases. Warm to hot is best.

Thank you! It is unadulterated sphagnum moss, intended for orchids. I found a post somewhere on TF, and it seems other people have used it with no problems. And thanks for the temp info, I'll up the nighttime temperatures.

I have the best luck germinating Nepenthes seeds on sand and peat. I seriously doubt you'll get any germination on those seeds though. If you do get germination, expect them to mirabilis or maxima especially if these are ebay seeds.

I too recommend the peat / sand composts. I've used those for years, often with some chopped sphagnum in the mix, if available . . .

I have the best luck germinating Nepenthes seeds on sand and peat. I seriously doubt you'll get any germination on those seeds though. If you do get germination, expect them to mirabilis or maxima especially if these are ebay seeds.

I can hope can't I? :D

Back