What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes campanulata

Cindy

Staff member
The locals use this burnt earth for limestone species like N. campanulata and N. northiana with great success.

Top: Newly potted after being shipped bareroot
Bottom: 17 days later

Looks great! I'm still hunting to get my own Camp. Currently I'm getting one next spring.

Makes me think I should repot my campanulata, but I don't have any ingredients for rock-lovers. What do other people use for species like these?

Burnt Earth is not a name commonly used here, is it the same as "decomposed granite"? Is it the only soil ingredient, no peat or milled sphagnum down inside?

Carbontec you can get a product called "Rocks" by Sunleaves which is clay bits shaped like rocks but very lightweight and airy so it holds a lot of moisture. The "Rocks" chunks are a bit larger than I'd use for Neps on it's own though so maybe a blend of Sunleaves Rocks and Turface /Aquarium Plant Soil / Clay Soil Conditioner (smaller grained clay "rock" like products) would be approximate.

Last edited:
Ooh, nice. I've been looking for an N. camp.

Anyone ever use seramis? Seems similar to the "rocks," but I'm not sure.

Apparently, burnt earth is fired red clayey natural soil. Similar to how red bricks are made. However, we found it surprising that this grade of firing (about 30% still breaks down into clay) did not cause any issues with the species. Instead, it seems to be welcomed by it. The plant in the photos was potted in burnt earth as soon as it arrived. It was originally potted in cocopeat and grown in a nursery with constantly high humidity. Though the ambient conditions are cool and moist, we do get sunny afternoons which can cause the humidity to drop by a good percentage. The plant is still turgid with no limp parts. It seems that the roots are able to take in water, despite being shipped bareroot.

Here's an old thread for reference...with other species that do well in such a media.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/114705

Are you still growing your Merrilliana in it and how did the Mexican Ping do Cindy? Thanks for all this info!

Yes, my merriliana is still in burnt earth. Hmm.... I can't remember if I did try Mexican Pings in that media but if I did it didn't work cos all of them are currently in pure perlite and thriving.

Oh you are growing campanulata cool in HL conditions or not that cool (75-80*F days 50*F nights)? I've always grown mine in lowland conditions and they grow great for a year or two but eventually weaken and die (but not in the standard HLer in LL conditions way).

The campanulata is grown in ultra lowland conditions e.g. maximum 95F, minimum not lower than 75F. It does better during the cool months with temperatures in the 80s and 70s but could be because of the constantly higher humidity as well.

Back