What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes edwardsiana or hamata ?

The temps are 23/17C day/night..

I have the plant since last november. The last leaf is very red... Like a sunburn. Maybe its a normal morphologic caracteristic in theses growing conditions...

Francois.

Red is normal for high light but not smaller and smaller leaves.

I'd say your conditions are way too warm at night. Mine never see night time temps anywhere near that high even in the hottest part of summer.

Yeah, you need to find a way to drop night temps into the mid/low 50s F. The warm nights will interfere with hamata's metabolism, resulting in smaller and eventually deformed leaves.

I agree, 17*C sounds a little on the warm side, although not too much. If you can get it down to 15*c/59*f, or cooler, it should help.

I see.

Thx for your replys guys.

All my other hl neps(tenuis, ramispina, faizaliana etc) thrive with theses growing conditions.
Like you guys said, i think hamata is more picky..

My hamatas survived my vacation where the misters didn't come on. And the temps got out of hand. Lost both macros though. After recovering from that they survived the ice storm where temps got too cold. Lost a few leaves but the plants survived. Now I have the new be clone inflating a pitcher. Recovered faster than other wistuba and first BE clone. Although if I'm not mistaken the first BE clone is now also starting to inflate a pitcher. I will say they are not that picky. They have survived extreme temps either direction and a mini drought too. Wish I could say the same for the two macros. I think hamata is a good choice but I have to agree with Travis on this one. Both should be in the collection eventually.

And I hope the hamata x Eddie proves to be worth the wait and doesn't loose the toothiness as seen with many Janata hybrids. Needless to say I hipenitngets cloned because I would love one.

If you provide enough humidity and feed them enough, 62F at night shouldn't be much of a problem. It's possible to bypass cool nights by putting some kind of cooled clamp around the petioles, too..

This is the beast. The yellow leaf is the last original one remaining.

IMG_20140422_122746 by dals009, on Flickr

The plant still produce pitchers but as you can see, the leaves are always smaller, and i think we have a "too much light" syndrome here..

The medium looks too dense to me; in my opinion the peat should be replaced with sphagnum living or dead. I grow hamata in lfs with perlite and pine bark with a top dressing of live sphagnum. Hamata likes airy, open soil, and the absolute best medium to use is pure live sphagnum moss. I don't think this is a temp issue after all, or at least not primarily.

Last edited:
Mhmmok.

I will repot this lil guy in (75/25) dead sphag moss and perlite.

I would wait for more input, because if i am wrong repotting would just stress it out and impede its recovery.

If you do need to repot, the 75/25 sphagnum to perlite sounds good. Even if lack of aeration isn't the problem, it would probably be happier in the sphagnum/perlite.

What is the current medium anyway? It might be less dense than it looks.

Last edited:
Why the perlite period?? Loose LFS would be great. In the wild it grows in live LFS. I have mine in an open airy mix which i use for every Nepenthes because I mist daily. But I've seen pics of it growing in a clump of LFS

+1 to jb. I use pure lfs for most of my neps, and they do well until it compacts around the roots. The perlite and bark helps to open up the medium and keep it open for a longer time. This is for dead sphagnum, you could use live sphagnum only just fine as it doesn't really compact.

Last edited:
This is the beast. The yellow leaf is the last original one remaining.

IMG_20140422_122746 by dals009, on Flickr

The plant still produce pitchers but as you can see, the leaves are always smaller, and i think we have a "too much light" syndrome here..

I don't think your plant is suffering from too much light. It may be fluctuation in humidity or lack of a significant temp drop. I noticed that the pitchers are not forming properly neither.

Here's a pic of both my hamatas displaying red leaves due to high light.

Oh... Answer to your original question? edwardsiana! :-D

How many N. Edwardsianas are growing in cultivation? I haven't been into CPs for 4 years or so and they were just starting to get spread then (half a grand for a plant), I assume they're doing good now?

Last edited:
How many N. Edwardsianas are growing in cultivation? I haven't been into CPs for 4 years or so and they were just starting to get spread then (half a grand for a plant), I assume they're doing good now?

Hard to said, i know only 3 eddy growers. I think Mass (from tfs) have very good results.

Back