What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show Me Your N. aristolochioides Hybrids!

I picked up a couple of N. aristolochioides hybrids yesterday, which I wanted to share:

N. spectabilis x aristolochioides:
IMAG0307.jpg

N. (spectabilis x ventricosa) x aristolochioides:
IMAG0303.jpg

Since I got these both yesterday, I didn't grow these little pitchers, but I thought they were really cool, so I wanted to share. Now, I'd like to ask you all to do the same and share your aristo hybrids.

Last edited by a moderator:
N. spectabilis giant x aristolochioides

Interesting colur stinkpot, is that the BE [undefined abbreviation - not everyone is going to know what this abbreviation means, I don't] clone? a bit of TC [undefined abbreviation - not everyone is going to know what this abbreviation means]weirdness acting up

This fatty recently arrived from a basal

12473957884_af71f0be39_c.jpg

12473465275_d56b3aaec5_c.jpg

How about N. aristolochioides x mira?
["mira" is not an accepted Nepenthes species name, or cutesy nickname for N. mirabilis]
IMG_20131127_152452_508.jpg

I second that wow for you jurow! That's a nice one!

Here is my N. maxima x aristolochiodes

Jurow, that's really cool!

These are great everyone! Keep 'em coming!

N. singalana X aristolochioides:
20140212-125309.jpg

N. aristolochioides x spectabilis:
spect-aristo.jpg

N. bellii x aristolochioides:
20121130-095858.jpg

N. Involuntary Bliss (aristolochioides x mira): [N. mira, not an accepted species name, synonym for N. deaniana]
20120628-081656.jpg

Its quite apparent when you grow a few of the N. aristolochioides hybrids just how similar many of them are.

N. "Viking" [nickname for unaccepted variety of N. mirabilis] x (aristolochioides x spectabilis):
viking-spect-aristo.jpg

I've also noticed how dominant N. aristo [unacceptable cutesy nickname for N. aristolochioides] is in crosses. An older pic of my N. spectabilis "Giant" x aristolochioides:

IMG_20130721_130751_487.jpg

These get pretty big.

Very nice plants everyone. WOW though, N. singalana x aristolochioides is beyond incredible. I envision a most amazing of crosses in the future between N. (singalana x aristolochioides) x (spectabilis x singalana)...

Anyway my small contribution to this thread, albeit dated.

N. spectabilis x aristolochioides I believe.

But mine exhibited symptoms similar to Lil's in that it had these weird abherrant patternings and sometimes deformations of the peristome.

But mine exhibited symptoms similar to Lil's in that it had these weird abherrant patternings and sometimes deformations of the peristome.

It is pretty much a given that the color break on the pitcher body and other deformities is the result of genetic oddities in the cross. My N. spectabilis X aristolochioides had its main vine turn "bad" producing nothing but twisted, small pitchers and lamina that were half normal, half distorted. I believe the plant had a meristematic point that was a blend of normal and aberrant tissue, and so what I was seeing was a possibly a chimaera. I cut that vine off and discarded it. If it shows up again in a future growth, I will discard the plant.

Last edited:
Yeah it was pretty disappointing when it started forming those pitchers. It certainly makes the plant feel less valuable.

That explains the weirdness before my N. spectabilis x aristolochioides [aristo is an unacceptable cutesy abbreviation] died. It's probably from the same TC [undefined abbreviation] batch everyone has. It grew very robustly, then made a few mutant pitchers, then slowly gave up. It was in conditions fifty other plants are doing fine in. Maybe I should look for an SG [undefined abbreviation] clone, if one exists.

Jurow, I really really like your N. aristolochioides ["aristo" is an unacceptable cutesy nickname] x mira ["mira" is an unaccepted species name, synonym for N. deaniana], is the origin from BE [undefined abbreviation] or Leilani (I know he made the cross as well)? The way the peristome is internalized within the pitcher, I have not seen to that extent before. Just awesome!

I like your BE [undefined abbreviation] N. spectabilis ["spect" is an unacceptable cutesy nickname] x aristolochioides ["aristo" is an unacceptable cutesy nickname] [ Dexenthes, the pitchers are very nice and fat and tubby. The EP [undefined abbreviation] version leans more towards spectabilis, whilst BE [undefined abbreviation] seems more aristo-ish.

Here's a few more old pics of mine:

This one's no longer among the living unfortunately
7746513034_f2bd913fa4_b.jpg

7746450318_1ed54faba6_b.jpg

a complex one, but N. aristolochioides ["aristo" is not an acceptable cutesy nickname] traits still fairly visible
9531830566_2323cb65c2_b.jpg

9500893709_d05ba1192e_b.jpg

10242993386_d9e8e728ae_b.jpg

10242409076_bfc7a8f673_b.jpg

10242485303_30b1394090_b.jpg

10242424425_38dcf00529_b.jpg

8958388067_20a18c1fc7_b.jpg

8958374261_e84a040c53_b.jpg

And some aristo photoshop i did out of boredom

7995671338_7364294a82_o.jpg

7995602035_2bd78f0400_o.jpg

7813906124_3c3993fb4e_c.jpg

8011838117_f1969732a4_o.jpg

8011657914_d351b8b05e_o.jpg

8011511222_8cc58284e6_o.jpg

Another view of my N. bellii X aristolochioides:
20130406-163407.jpg

20131024-120006.jpg

It is pretty much a given that the color break on the pitcher body and other deformities is the result of genetic damage to the cross, probably acquired through the tissue culturing process. My N. spectabilis X aristolochioides had its main vine turn "bad" producing nothing but twisted, small pitchers and lamina that were half normal, half distorted. I believe the plant had a meristematic point that was a blend of normal and damaged tissue, and so what I was seeing was a chimaera. I cut that vine off and discarded it. If it shows up again in a future growth, I will discard the plant. I have no patience for genetically damaged TC plants.

Although I agree that the problem is likely to be the tissue culture (since several people experienced it with this particular cross), I must point out that chimaera's are produced naturally as well. In fact the possibility of a plant to have a mutation in one of it's meristematic points is a way of ensuring that it might survive what other growth points might not. Chimaera's are sometimes found in tree species where a branch can have a different genetic layout from it's neighbouring branch.

Jurow, I really really like your aristo x mira, is the origin from BE or Leilani(I know he made the cross as well)? The way the peristome is internalized within the pitcher, I have not seen to that extent before. Just awesome!

Thanks much. It's from BE.

As a side note: I get a little uneasy when I see so many people pointing fingers at "sloppy tissue culture" when their plants start doing strange things. We've seen some pretty crazy witch-hunts on this and other forums over the years regarding Nepenthes producers, many involving their tissue culture practices.

I can say that I've personally had thousands of plants come through my greenhouse from these propagators, and haven't encountered any clearly deformed specimens (even after many years of continuous cultivation.) What I have seen quite often are pictures of plants grown in sub-optimal conditions (not bad per se, but indoors for example) that may be exhibiting pest or other environmental stress.

I'm not denying the existence or possibility of TC errors cropping up from time to time, even from the best vendors. I am, however, saying that in my experience it's pretty rare.

Back