What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep stem browning

Some of my N. X ventrata's older lower leaves we're yellowing recently so I cut them off when they started to brown. I just noticed this morning that the whole stem is now turning brown from the bottom up to where the topmost leaf was cut off.

It has had a small brown patch on the stem from when I first got it, I thought a leaf was falling off and went to tug it, it had a better grip than I thought and damaged the stem. For these leaves that I cut off I left a small bit attached so I wouldn't damage the stem though.

Browning of the stem or rather turning sort of "woody" is normal for an older / longer Nepenthes vine, nothing to worry about in general.

Ok to me brown usually means dying and it happened pretty quickly. Glad it's normal.

A photo would be useful for an accurate diagnosis. It is very likely, however, that this is normal aging of the stem towards a more woody state that you are seeing.

If it's moving from the ground up (and brown not yellow/black) most likely it's normal, but showing a photo won't hurt - just to be sure.

Back