What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes spathulata x hamata

Anyone seen the Nepenthes spathulata x hamata at auction on eBay? The foliage has an odd look to it color-wise, any thoughts. I'm not bidding but just wondered as my plant has nice green foliage like the pictures of others I have seen on the web.

The plant has been grown in bright light and is paler than how it would appear under lights. The reddish tint is also normal for this hybrid when grown in strong light.
The grower is a well-known California nurseryman and he grows healthy plants without exception. Whoever buys it will undoubtedly receive a healthy plant.

This is an excellent hybrid that for some reason doesn't get nearly the attention as most other hamata hybrids. It's one of my favorites.

20121022-162338.jpg

Very nice.

Do you know if the 'hamata style' spikes are still on the top of the lid?

That explains it, I know I like mine. I also have a ventricosa x hamata that arrived frozen early last Spring and it's coming back nicely. Just purchased a burkei x hamata and intend to pick up more hamata hybrids since I can't seem to successfully keep the purebred hamata's alive. All of my highland neps grow slowly so maybe I don't water enough. I usually go by the weight of the container so maybe I should be watering more often. The medium never dries out and besides the artificial lighting they get a couple of hours of sun each day. I guess that is off topic.

spathulata x hamata lid hairs and beautiful pitcher.
936718_642204272471916_2095744752_n.jpg

Nepenthes ventricosa x hamata
01-28-2013 This is how ventricosa x hamata arrived with cold damaged leaves and roots.
733743_619398604752483_1989573795_n.jpg

02-12-2013 A few days later and the plant has deteriorated and stopped growing due to root damage.
482007_620034521355558_2122389269_n.jpg

03-21-2013l This little spur appeared.
64183_619398974752446_1010535675_n.jpg

04-18-2013
562350_634264256599251_697465767_n.jpg

05-18-2014 A year later it's still small but taking off and nearly ready for a larger container.
10298707_882241161801558_8576470099582723271_n.jpg

10306751_882241345134873_3514745137552826604_n.jpg

1613910_882241371801537_9212477278731277787_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well done on reviving that poor plant!

Very nice.

Do you know if the 'hamata style' spikes are still on the top of the lid?

Some do -- mine does not.
The most recent new pitcher, still not colored up:
20140520-162912-59352032.jpg

Thank you Whimgrinder, but should it have taken a year for a new bud to reach 4" across? Should I mix large perlite with the NZ sphag and water more often?
Totally cool, what sort of environment are yours in and what part of the country? I think everything matters and am convinced that it's hard to beat a greenhouse environment especially if it is set up properly. I hope you don't mind a few questions.

I have a fully engineered highland greenhouse; good old wood-and-glass construction, and I am situated in the Pacific Northwest, where summer nights always cool off to 55F or cooler, making greenhouse climate regulation for Nepenthes a relatively easy task.

And yes, its perfectly reasonable for a badly damaged plant to take a full year to build up to a plant of that size. When I saw that photo, I thought to myself what a great job you did bringing it back to health. I cannot offer you suggestions on watering, since it really comes down to your climate conditions and the density of the potting mix, etc. My soil mix is very light and open and I can water daily if I choose and there would still be plenty of air spaces in the mix. Dense, slow-draining soils will require much more careful monitoring of soil saturation. You have to figure out what works for your conditions and your soil mix. Unless you are letting the soil dry out between waterings, then more watering isn't going to speed up growth. The only thing I have found to increase rate of growth is the return of longer, brighter spring days and daytime highs above 80F* coupled with nights around 52F.

*but not exceeding 85F if at all avoidable.

The plant has been grown in bright light and is paler than how it would appear under lights. The reddish tint is also normal for this hybrid when grown in strong light.
The grower is a well-known California nurseryman and he grows healthy plants without exception. Whoever buys it will undoubtedly receive a healthy plant.

This is an excellent hybrid that for some reason doesn't get nearly the attention as most other hamata hybrids. It's one of my favorites.

Thanks for the kind words Paul. This is my plant, and Paul is correct. It is growing under pretty intense sunlight, which tends to lead to compact, lightly-colored leaves. I occasionally move some plants indoors under lights for weather reasons, and their next leaf typically emerges as larger and dark green. As the listing says, I've been growing the plant for quite a while, and it's happily producing colorful pitchers all year.

I also agree that this hybrid does not receive nearly enough credit. I recall that it was posted on BE's availability list for a shockingly long time compared to the other N. hamata hybrids, but that could also be due to how prolific their female N. spathulata tends to be.

Josh,
I think it has something to do with the general lack of respect spathulata hybrids get, in general. I don't understand it myself, as many of them are spectacular plants - the species brings a lot of excellent traits to their progeny.

Last edited:
I never took interest in any of the new hamata hybrids, until I saw the upcoming N. robcantleyi x hamata. Now there's a cross I'm excited to get my hands on!

In my experience, N. robcantleyi is a weak breeder and often the best traits of both parents are diluted in hybrids made with it. I've given away all of my robcantleyi hybrids: there wasn't a keeper in the bunch. Just my personal opinion, of course.

In my experience, N. robcantleyi is a weak breeder and often the best traits of both parents are diluted in hybrids made with it. I've given away all of my robcantleyi hybrids: there wasn't a keeper in the bunch. Just my personal opinion, of course.

I also have yet to see an especially stunning N. robcantelyi hybrid, but all of the ones I've seen have still been rather immature. That being said, I do have a whole bunch of the N. robcantleyi x hamata crosses coming in w/ high hopes.

Whoops. Forgot about this guy:

2013-03-10_13-27-45_167.jpg

N. densiflora x robcantleyi

I was looking at your neps on eBay and they sure look healthy. I hope you list more spathulata x hamata's so I can bid in after I get paid. I assume you have a webstore so I will take a look there too.

Back