What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your best bet is just a good old N. ventricosa. Assuming that your dorm conditions are less than ideal for Nepenthes, the plant will not go gang-busters and will stay small for quite some time. The occasional neglect (IE: letting it dry out, never misting it, not repotting it) will surely keep it at a small and manageable size for what I can astute to being almost indefinitely. I have a N. ventricosa that has been growing on a windowsill for almost 5 years now. It is still 4-6 inches in diameter and not much larger than when I first got it.

I would certainly stay away from the plants that you mentioned in the opening post. They will not appreciate your average dorm room windowsill.

Nepenthes glabrata (pros, very small, very pretty pitchers. Cons, I have a hybrid with it as a parent, not the easiest to grow, highlander)

I have grown N. glabrata and it is not difficult in my experience with the temperatures you can provide. I also generally grow nepenthes based on how awesome I think the pitchers will be. You seem to like the pitchers of this one the best; so if I were you, I would pick this one.

Your best bet is just a good old N. ventricosa. Assuming that your dorm conditions are less than ideal for Nepenthes, the plant will not go gang-busters and will stay small for quite some time. The occasional neglect (IE: letting it dry out, never misting it, not repotting it) will surely keep it at a small and manageable size for what I can astute to being almost indefinitely. I have a N. ventricosa that has been growing on a windowsill for almost 5 years now. It is still 4-6 inches in diameter and not much larger than when I first got it.

I would certainly stay away from the plants that you mentioned in the opening post. They will not appreciate your average dorm room windowsill.

I already have a ventricosa.

You could be super cool and get an argentii. It's on my soon to buy list. Only downfall is trying to actually find one to buy...

You could be super cool and get an argentii. It's on my soon to buy list. Only downfall is trying to actually find one to buy...

N. argentii is the smallest Nepenthes, but even it will eventually get around 5-8" across with several inches of stem, is rather hard to find, and is one of the most challenging species to grow.

And super hard to grow, they like it really cold. I would actually have to buy a climate controlled container for it. It is something to hope for in the future, but I wouldn't risk putting such a rare plant in my care at my current level of experience.

N. argentii is the smallest Nepenthes, but even it will eventually get around 5-8" across with several inches of stem, is rather hard to find, and is one of the most challenging species to grow.

5-8 inches across isn't that big. Even if you aren't counting their weird tendrils with that. It is their difficulty to grow and find that would be my biggest deterrent.

Back