What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed longevity question

So, I have been interested in tissue culturing Nepenthes for awhile, but have never really had the facilities or skills to do it. I now have a tissue culture lab with available chemicals and PGR's that I work in and am experienced with sterile technique and media composition. The only thing I'm not really sure of is seeds and where I should get them. I know some people sell them, but if they're not fresh they have been in cold storage and may not have any viability left, at least for germination on a substrate vs. a culture medium. Anybody have any information? I'd assume that seeds could be kept longer if used for TC, but I really don't know.
Thanks all

Well, I don't really know much in the way of tissue culture, but generally I have heard for best results you want seeds at most a month old, and I have heard that after the three month mark has been met without seeds being sown, to not expect germination. However, given what I do know about TC, I don't think it would really improve upon the lack of longevity very much.

TC likely wouldn't have much of an effect on germination success of old seeds (though I know there are other members on here who likely have much better info regarding this), but yes, for most seeds less than a month old is almost necessary, and 3 months is really pushing it. Though, once sown, some can end up taking a year to sprout anyway.....
Also, depends on the species. N. ventricosa, a number of other highland species, and many intermediates can have seeds that last longer, whereas you have species like bicalcarata who often throw out seeds with lifespans of a couple of days if they're not sown....

Ive sown seeds of several hybrids that were laying in my drawer for 6 months and had great germination. I also recently sowed some that are about a year old -its been about a month and they seem like they're doing what they should but nothing yet. some inermis seeds I had forgotten about for around three months just started germinating.
fresher will always be better, but I almost never sow seeds with a few weeks of harvesting them and, if the seed looks good to start with, I get germination.
I would say, if they are HL seeds and a good cross, try them.

also, I will be harvesting some petiolata hybrid seeds over the next few days and will sell/trade off the majority - if you are interested.

while im just guessing at this - TC might actually help with old seeds. older seeds may be more susceptible to disease which kills them. so, they can fully hydrate in peace and lay there for as long as they need to germinate without any environmental challenge.

Thanks so much for the posts. I think the biggest hurdle for me is getting fresh seeds since most plants aren't flowering this early in the summer. I'll give it a shot with some older seeds and see if it works!

Thanks so much for the posts. I think the biggest hurdle for me is getting fresh seeds since most plants aren't flowering this early in the summer. I'll give it a shot with some older seeds and see if it works!

PM me, please. I can help you out.

Back