What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stem cuttings and Root cuttings

Gracilis is the only nepenthes I can root in water with any real success. But then, you could probably root gracilis in rubbing alcohol.

Oh, I don't plan on rooting in water, I will be rooting in growing medium.

Oh, I don't plan on rooting in water, I will be rooting in growing medium.

I have done that as well, with about the same success rate as water. In my experience, the water method gets more strikes than direct media. However, transitioning from water to media doesn't always work. For me, at least, the net result is ~the same.

I have done that as well, with about the same success rate as water. In my experience, the water method gets more strikes than direct media. However, transitioning from water to media doesn't always work. For me, at least, the net result is ~the same.

Did you use any rooting powder? Because I am going to use that too.

Did you use any rooting powder? Because I am going to use that too.

Rooting hormone is not necessary, and in fact it has proven to be retard root formation on some varieties. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Rooting hormone is not necessary, and in fact it has proven to be retard root formation on some varieties. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

I guess I will do trial and error, use it on some and not others, and see what happens. That and look up which varieties do get stunted from it to avoid using it on them altogether. I can't resist a good experiment opportunity.

Last edited:
That and look up which varieties do get stunted from it to avoid using it on them altogether.

Of course you should embrace the notion of a control study on whatever material you can get ahold of. But I think you will find a dearth of information on the interaction of hormones on specific clones/varieties/cultivars. I seriously doubt anyone has kept that data.

Last edited:
Of course you should embrace the notion of a control study on whatever material you can get ahold of. But I think you will find a dearth of information on the interaction of hormones on specific clones/varieties/cultivars. I seriously doubt anyone has kept that data.

Well then, I guess I will try to keep some data on it as my collection grows, which plants react well and which don't.

Back