What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BioZest

zesty.
I haven't posted here lately. My plants haven't done anything remarkable recently, but I thought this was pretty cool.

The Nepenthes Spathulata x Ventricosa seeds I received from this auction germinated (I think)!:

seedlings_zps784b31bd.png

This is my first germination ever, so I'm super excited. I have a few questions. As you can see in the photo, there is some moss and (possibly) algae growing in the pot. Will this be harmful for the seedlings? I am using this product for pest control. The medium is peat and sand in a 1:1 ratio. I have been keeping the pot in normal highland conditions (about 60-75 degrees), spraying it with the pest control periodically. Should I do anything differently now that some of the seeds have germinated?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Those are Nepenthes seedlings. You might let it become a little drier, to kill off the moss and algae. Other than that, they look good.

I'm worried that the seedlings will be "killed off" before the moss and algae.

As long as you pluck the moss from around the seedlings before it over grows them they should be fine. The algae generally won't hurt them post germination.

Good news! More sprouts.

IMG_0484_zpsd5178f4a.jpg

The bad news is that the mold is growing in and the first two aren't handling it very well. You can see a little browning on the leaves. Any tips? Should I try to remove the mold by hand or let the pot dry a bit?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You could use a fungicide. I've used Daconil brand in situations like this with good results.

What conditions have you had them in, How long did you have the seeds in there before they germinated?

What conditions have you had them in, How long did you have the seeds in there before they germinated?

I have them a terrarium so probably 60%-80% humidity and standard highland temps. I just made sure that the soil was "moist but not wet" which I don't really need to worry about any more since the moss grew in. I received the seeds 4/19 and posted as soon as I saw germination, so about 2 months.

Here's a quick update on this pot:
IMG_2402_zpsd35822af.jpg

Still at least 5 sprouts and possibly more under the moss. With the introduction of the moss, the algae/fungus problem appears to have dissipated. I think I might try and pluck some of it out from around the seeds to give them more light.

That whitish stringy mold is bad crap. There looks to be a small chunk of it remaining at the bottom center of this photo.

I am trying to determine what it is, because I get it sprouting from peat moss all the time, but I believe it's Pythium. In which case, definite no-no.

That whitish stringy mold is bad crap. There looks to be a small chunk of it remaining at the bottom center of this photo.

I am trying to determine what it is, because I get it sprouting from peat moss all the time, but I believe it's Pythium. In which case, definite no-no.

That stuff no like hydrogen peroxide, which is entirely safe for Nepenthes even when you use it at 3% concentrations, as in the sort you would put on a cut. For plants that like things wetter, I found that frequent top watering controls it, although it doesn't eliminate it, although with chemical sensitive plants such as many drosera that sort of solution might be best.

In any case, it is a seed killer and young plant killer if you leave it to its own devices.

Re the fungus:

I recently had some fungus growing in a pot of particularly valuable seeds (to me) and I had no experience in using H2O2. So, I instead picked off all the soil with fungus and it seems to have sorted out the problem.

That said, many people have said that the H2O2 works well at 3%. Im merely throwing out another option.

Back