Likes Likes:  14
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Chaniana and Friends

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    It's weird how the top of the copelandii pitcher looks like it is bent. Is nigra a difficult species? Shame that the lingulata didn't make it. Your campanulata looks amazing as always.
    Thanks Howard! The N. copelandii pitcher is indeed bent, it formed underneath some other Nepenthes leaves. N. nigra has been temperamental for me and usually only pitchers well over the winter. It looks significantly better than last summer and I wouldn't be surprised if it has another pitcher flush soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    Pitcherless plants are the worst. Just months of waiting isn't it?
    It's not too bad since most of my plants are in pitcher, but since I don't soil fertilize anymore it's always a little nerve-wracking if a weaker plant stops pitchering.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    Loving your updates Christopher! Your intermittent updates makes my heart grow fonder. Lol! Thanks for sharing!
    That's too bad because I'll be here all summer!

Quote Originally Posted by mikefallen13 View Post
    Nice pictures as always! Those campanulata are amazing, one of the few lowlanders I really want to try.
    N. campanulata is a great species, I wish it were more available though. I got my BE clone two years ago for a premium and haven't seen any domestically since. The learning curve with N. campanulata can be a little steep, it's much different than growing standard lowlanders but a very rewarding species especially when they start filling in.

--

Obligatory N. chaniana, I think we're getting closer to wild-size now
    Nepenthes chaniana BE
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got some new plants in this summer and some I'm trying again:

Nepenthes lowii G. Mulu AW
    I don't grow a lot of "classic" highland species but I did finally pick up a small Nepenthes lowii; this is an AW clone from Gunung Mulu.

Nepenthes peltata [BE-3464]
    N. peltata from BE - I know there's suspicion of N. hamiguitanensis in this clone but it's still a nice one that I've wanted for a while.

Nepenthes zygon
    Doesn't look like much now but I've been looking for this plant for several years: N. zygon (N. copelandii Mt. Pasian).

Nepenthes platychila NE
    New N. platychila clone from a domestic TC line, excited to see this one grow out.

Nepenthes sp. 1 (Sumatra) BE
    First pitcher in my care, Nepenthes sp. 1 from BE

--

Nepenthes campanulata
    N. campanulata

Nepenthes campanulata BE

Nepenthes campanulata BE
    N. campanulata basals can be a ways away from the main plant, almost reminds me of Darlingtonia stolons. I wonder how far this one would have gotten if it didn't hit the rock.

Nepenthes vieillardii BE
    Small N. vieillardii scrambling along; interesting looking intermediate pitcher.

Nepenthes bellii BE
    N. bellii has been an easy species for me that holds on to many pitchers at once.

Nepenthes fusca Sarawak BE
    N. fusca Sarawak

Nepenthes boschiana Sakumbang [BE-3559]
    My N. boschiana is pretty potbound, if I had the space this one could get much larger.

Nepenthes ventricosa UCB
    Big mama N. ventricosa keeps flowering, this is the second spike this year.
    Plant List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting growth habit for the campanulata. I can't wait to see what the zygon pitchers look like.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderfully grown plants as usual. Have you taken a look under the surface to see what those runners look like?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I envy that campy rock...I love naturalistic looking setups and would love to do something like that for Mexican Pinguicula etc, but no room...
    N. BE sp. 1 is an awesome taxon too; grows funky for me, but even small leaves put out rather large pitchers.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got campy basals! So excited to see your setup evolve. Are you planning on trying to manipulate the vine, bonsai style?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    Wonderfully grown plants as usual. Have you taken a look under the surface to see what those runners look like?
    Thanks Grey Moss; I haven't taken a look under the surface as the entire arrangement is very fragile and I don't want to damage the plants. Losing my N. campanulata would be a tragedy so I've done as little with it as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I envy that campy rock...I love naturalistic looking setups and would love to do something like that for Mexican Pinguicula etc, but no room...
    N. BE sp. 1 is an awesome taxon too; grows funky for me, but even small leaves put out rather large pitchers.
    Hi Hawken, nice to hear from you. It's a nice setup for sure but my plans for the future include moving spare basals to pots since I'm not sure how permanent the entire arrangement will be. I really like natural setups as well and planning them really motivates me to learn more about a region's flora. I'm interested to hear back about how sp. 1 grows for you, the plant's a real phantom information-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    You got campy basals! So excited to see your setup evolve. Are you planning on trying to manipulate the vine, bonsai style?
    Hey Jon, unfortunately not - the stem lignifies as soon as a leaf dries so the whole thing ends up too difficult for me to comfortably manipulate; the green internodes are too short to do much anyways. I think the cascade style suits it since they do hang in the wild, I'll just need a taller display pedestal if I ever do display them again. Yours are looking great btw! I should update my GIF too, it's been another year of growth already: https://cantharifera.wordpress.com/2.../17/rock-loop/
    Plant List

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sp. 1 is about a medium-rate grower, and I'm sure that if the soil was fully fresh and kept at the same rate of moisture (until recently the moss was not wicking water all too well) the rate of size increase would be steadier, but even on messed up leaves pitchers still at least exceed 6" long at all times, usually a bit larger and I'll bet will get far bigger once the plant actually starts vining and setting out big leaves.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist