What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us your burbidgeae Hybrids!

Since BE and EP recently done gorgeous hybrid of one of my favorite species, burbidgeae, I figure it be a good thread to start and see these Bad boys!

Here are mine;

burbidgeae x aristolochioides

sumatrana x burbidgeae

N. burbidgea X talangensis
20140624-140747-50867017.jpg

That's stunning, Paul. The best of both parents.

That's stunning, Paul. The best of both parents.

Agreed, and far more willing to pitcher than either parent as well! Thats a win as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have a talangensis hybrid that pitchered with abandon, than a talangensis that sulked and made one pitcher every 18 months, which is what mine does.

I've read that about Talagensis. I was going to give it a try but have decided to wait and see if in the future seed grow plants come available and see if that plays a role in this clone. Burbidgeae, pitchers well and often for me.

I would rule out talangensis for your climate....it dislikes warm nights and will decline in such conditions. Consider instead the hybrid glabrata X talangensis....its wonderful!

Last edited:
I definitely need to get that! looks like Pitopangii!

I would rule out talangensis for your climate....it dislikes warm nights and will decline in such conditions. Consider instead the hybrid glabrata X talangensis....its wonderful!

So that hybrid is more of an intermediate? Good, that makes my life easier. I didn't realize that as it didn't come with growing instructions and the hybrid isn't common enough for me to easily find that out online.

So that hybrid is more of an intermediate?

No. Its not that simple. Its more like 1 + 1 = 2.5 in that - as a rule - hybrids are often capable of tolerating conditions that exceed the extremes of either parent, even when both are highland types, for example. Its as if by crossing two distinct species you end up expanding the capacity of both species to adapt to conditions that diverge from the norm for either. I'm speaking in generalities, of course; there are always exceptions.

No. Its not that simple. Its more like 1 + 1 = 2.5 in that - as a rule - hybrids are often capable of tolerating conditions that exceed the extremes of either parent, even when both are highland types, for example. Its as if by crossing two distinct species you end up expanding the capacity of both species to adapt to conditions that diverge from the norm for either. I'm speaking in generalities, of course; there are always exceptions.

So, it can tolerate slightly warmer then?

N. Burbidgeae x Platychilla
Pardon all the cat hair.
i6ccj7.jpg

Last edited:
Old thread, but bump.

Z69OejEl.jpg

Burbidgeae x robcantleyi from BE and a veitchii x burbidgeae from EP.

The veitchii x burbidgeae in that picture is a basal shoot from a larger plant I ordered (woohoo, 2 for 1!) so I know what that one will turn out like, but I'm curious to see how robcantleyi hybrid turns out and how much they'll differ.

Great plants, Stranger!

Here's an update on the sumatrana x burbidgeae.

Back