What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. campanulata hybrid

I received this complex N. campanulata hybrid the other day and I like it so much that I thought I'd share a photo with everyone here.

nbbyac.jpg

Nice pitcher! Looks like you've got another one on the way :)

I hope so! It came with the featured pitcher and was well packaged, so none of them have dropped off, yet. I'm excited to see it start putting out some more pitchers.

I love it! :hail::hail::hail::hail:

Last edited:
Officially, next nepenthes I buy for myself is campanulata. It never seems to disappoint in hybrids, and I love the bell shape of the pure species.

If only there was a colorful variety of the species!

Officially, next nepenthes I buy for myself is campanulata. It never seems to disappoint in hybrids, and I love the bell shape of the pure species.

If only there was a colorful variety of the species!

Nepenthes campanulata is extremely difficult to grow.

You've got to be kidding me. Why must all the great nepenthes be so hard to grow :cry:

Yeah sorry, its a shame that it is so hard to grow. I went by Ryan's greenhouse on Friday and he had managed to get some campanulata to do well. He was keeping the soil very dry and with high humidity.
Its best to just go for campy hybrids before trying it. Maybe try grow easier Nepenthes species that like similar conditions to campanulata.

Wait, is the only bad part keeping the soil dry while the air remains warm and humid?

No, its still very picky and particular with what it wants. I wouldnt suggest it as a beginner plant.

Yeah sorry, its a shame that it is so hard to grow. I went by Ryan's greenhouse on Friday and he had managed to get some campanulata to do well. He was keeping the soil very dry and with high humidity.
Its best to just go for campy hybrids before trying it. Maybe try grow easier Nepenthes species that like similar conditions to campanulata.

This is not surprising, given its native conditions.

Also, PsychoSarah, there appear to be some campys that have some coloration (see link), but I don't believe that they're in widespread cultivation.

Limestone? Well, that shouldn't be hard to get.

Ha! Well, I thought so, too, but I live in the Granite State.... If anyone can find a small bit of limestone that they'd be willing to mail me, I'd be happy to pay for it and postage. Apparently, it's not available at any of the stone cutting places here.

So... What hybrid the above is? I'm looking at some Camp hybrids in case my pure species doesn't make it. Any recommendations? These are the options:

- Nepenthes campanulata x robcantleyi
- Nepenthes lowii x campanulata
- Nepenthes merilliana x campanulata
- Nepenthes truncata x campanulata
- Nepenthes spathulata x campanulata

Looking at the pictures in the web, I like the last one (Carmen) the most.

Last edited:
Nepenthes campanulata is extremely difficult to grow.

Is it really? I have an AW hybrid growing in my terrarium. Dual growth points and cosistantly getting larger. I think the difficulty lies in the fact it like high high humidity. If my humidifier runs out it refuses to pitcher. But overall its getting larger.
JB

Is it really? I have an AW hybrid growing in my terrarium. Dual growth points and cosistantly getting larger. I think the difficulty lies in the fact it like high high humidity. If my humidifier runs out it refuses to pitcher. But overall its getting larger.
JB

So basically a terrarium grower

My two campanulata and my campanulata X ventricosa are growing well as lowlanders, one camp is even in flower (and taking forever to open up).
I use a shallow water tray on the hybrid and one pure camp, the other gets daily misting (2 times a day), the soils are peat, basalt, sand, spag mixes and the humidity fluctuates, one gets as low as 50% the other never goes below 70%, the big thing seems to be sunlight, they love several hors of full sun, without it they don't pitcher for me.

Back