What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highlander Habitat Help

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
Hey guys. Not so long ago, I decided to get back into Nepenthes growing, as they are just an epic species of carnivorous plant. Definitely my favorite.
As this is my summer of projects, I decided to go all out and drop some money on all the terrarium supplies I would need and build a very nice Highland pitcher environment,
specifically for Nepenthes Hamata. Now heres my question.

Im planning on getting a Hamata soon, but the opportunity also arose that I may be able to get an Edwardsiana as well. Will the two of these be able to grow and thrive together
in the same terrarium? Ive heard a few people say its a good combo together, But I wanted a few extra opinions from Terraforum.

Also, any growing info on the Edward would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any knowledge of growing it. Thanks

I do not grow eddies, but I will say that people grow them under ultra highlander and intermediate conditions. What I'm guessing is the eddie is very small. You should probably bag it up and not expose it to heat until it's been hardened off. All this being said I sadly do not possess an edwardsiana (though I am buying a hamata!)

Hope that helps

I grow hamata, and, if it weren't for it's price tag I'd consider it a great beginners highlander. It isn't anywhere near as hard as it is said to be. I'd say it's only slightly more difficult than N. tentaculata.

N. edwardsiana is a bit harder, especially as a small plant. It is very slow growing, but makes jumps in leaf size occasionally. Temp-wise, it should be about the same as hamata, somewhere in the fifties at night, but it can take cooler. If the temps are cooler than 50 at night, day temps should rise to at least the high seventies to avoid what I call insidious rot syndrome, where it slowly rots out from underneath itself unbeknownst to you until it's far too late. I am unfortunately speaking from experience here.

No matter which you get, they are both solid highlanders which will need temperatures in the fifties at night, with high humidity.

Last edited:
I grow hamata, and, if it weren't for it's price tag I'd consider it a great beginners highlander. It isn't anywhere near as hard as it is said to be. I'd say it's only slightly more difficult than N. tentaculata.

N. edwardsiana is a bit harder, especially as a small plant. It is very slow growing, but makes jumps in leaf size occasionally. Temp-wise, it should be about the same as hamata, somewhere in the fifties at night, but it can take cooler. If the temps are cooler than 50 at night, day temps should rise to at least the high seventies to avoid what I call insidious rot syndrome, where it slowly rots out from underneath itself unbeknownst to you until it's far too late. I am unfortunately speaking from experience here.

No matter which you get, they are both solid highlanders which will need temperatures in the fifties at night, with high humidity.

Thanks man, valuable info. I can easily give them temps 70+ and high humidity, but I did not know they need temp drops to the 50s.. How would I go about doing something like that? Icecubes in a bowl? Haha.
And the high temps should keep away the rot?

Also, would the lights im currently using work for these 2 species?
Accupro AFL/F14T5/14W/865. Hg. I have 2 of these in a light fixture with my cacti. The other plants like
Catnip and pachypodium absolutely love them.

Last edited:
Hamata gets much easier after it gains some size. It's getting to that point that's the trick.

Wow, inermis looks pretty weird. And you say they are a good beginner Highlander?

I would definitely recommend getting experience with easier highlanders first, but yes inermis was much easier than I thought it would be.

Most highlanders are easy to grow if you provide the correct conditions.

wow thats an Über strange looking pitcher.

Kinda reminds me of Jamban, minus the toilet 'seat'

I would definitely recommend getting experience with easier highlanders first, but yes inermis was much easier than I thought it would be.

Most highlanders are easy to grow if you provide the correct conditions.

Yay!!! I am so glad there are interesting looking nepenthes which aren't an absolute pain to grow

Just as a reminder, they are easy when given their required temperature and humidity. These are easy in good solid highland conditions, which is 70s to low 80s in the day, and 50s to low 60s at night, with high humidity, especially at night.

Just as a reminder, they are easy when given their required temperature and humidity. These are easy in good solid highland conditions, which is 70s to low 80s in the day, and 50s to low 60s at night, with high humidity, especially at night.

I have humidity taken care of completely, been practicing different methods of cooling, seems to be working out

Yes, they will both grow well under the same conditions.

I found inermis to be very easygoing. I have no experience with Edwardsiana but I have grown two hamata clones before and they were a spider mite magnet. But as long as you give all of these good night temps and relatively cool day time temps, they should do great.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of this statement. Precise control over environmental conditions in a consistent manner is key. Not just hitting the mark three days out of five and getting somewhat close the rest of the time. Most newcomers to Nepenthes don't realize how crucial it is to provide consistent climate conditions. Some species can take a year or more to truly acclimate to a new growing environment, and they can't do it if the climate isn't consistently within parameters. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Back