What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Ventricosa not growing pitchers

Hello,

I'm sure this is a common question/problem, but my N. Ventricosa isn't growing pitchers and I thought it'd be best to post pictures. I'm growing it under four T5HO fluorescent lights, on for about 12-14 hours per day. Water it with distilled water every few days and I don't let it sit in water. Any help would be appreciated.

Pics:

ok202qT.jpg

Struggling Pitcher:
JEoeywc.jpg

2E4OKuW.jpg

If its not low light thats preventing it from pitchering, its low humidity. What is the humidity in that location?

I'll get an update tonight and get back to you. What are the recommended temps and humidity for a ventricosa?

Just a thought, but if you just got it recently, it is probably still settling into it's new growing conditions. If not, it is probably humidity issues.

It looks like it has a couple of pitchers that it could inflate now if it wanted to.

Which clone of ventricosa? I am seeing that one has similar issues in conditions that the other clones do just fine.

I agree with all of the above. Usually during cold temps, low humidity and/or periods of acclimation, my ventricosa also produces no/very little pitchers. Humidity trays do very little for humidity ; try something along to lines of creating a grow tent, or purchasing a cheap humidifier to help out.

Last edited:
This time of year, humidifiers get pretty cheap (off season) Check garage sales, too.

I have an ultrasonic humidifier that should work well. What is the best way of containing the humidity? I'm thinking I could but that ventricosa in a terrarium and pipe in the humidity. Any thoughts?

Depending on the output of the humidifier, you could just put it in a small room. That's what I do.

I added an old fish tank, now a terrarium, and an ultrasonic humidifer. I have the humidity piped in straight onto the ventricosa. Prior to using the humidifer, the humidity was 68%; after adding the humidifer (running it for 30 minutes every 2 hours) the electronic hydrometer reads 98%. I'm sure that's off because of the moisture on the hydrometer, but I think the humidity is up overall. Hope this works out.

Thanks for the help!

Back