What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frist time making/collecting Nep seeds, think they're any good?

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello experts :-D I'm wondering if there is a way to look at Nepenthes seeds and tell if pollination was successful or if you have to just try them out? I think I read you can tell by the middle being swollen, but I just can't tell if this would be considered swollen or not.
Thanks!
Andrew

20140802_102204.jpg

Some look good. Hard to say. Need closer shot. Can see the ones that are good and not good in this pic.

Last edited:
Just try it out... It's not it's going to be a waste of time especially if you don't have anything else to do.

Well, I was thinking of giving away a lot... So that would be a waste of time/shipping :p

20140802_105429.jpg

Close enough?

Last edited:
They look viable to me, but I have limited experience germinating Nepenthes, and none at all with flowering/pollinating.

Just out of curiosity, what is the parentage?

Andrew, I would say the odds are that you will get 50-70% germination from those seeds. I see what appear to be a LOT of healthy embryos in there.

Bio- Nothing special, just N. ventricosa x N. maxima

Thanks Paul, I appreciate it!

Yeah, a lot of those do look good, and I've had germination from seeds that looked completely nonviable. It's always worth a shot if you've actually tried harvesting them.

Back