What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rafflesiana seedlings!

Hello all!
Recently I've been selling and occasionally giving away seedling N. rafflesiana (and I still have a couple hundred growing up too!). I decided to post pics of some of the ones I've decided to keep, to show the variation from one batch. These plants are N. rafflesiana "dark brown parent, Sajingan, W. Kalimantan, Borneo" locality. As others mature I hope to also post pics of my "green spotted parent" and "nivea parent" plants, and hopefully if it ever settles in and grows my one remaining "var. alata" seedling. But for now:

If you have seedlings, either from this batch you received from me or your own efforts, please feel free to share pics!
~hcarlton

Wow those are gonna be awesome when they get big. Really cool coloring. Best of luck with them

I love love love raffs! I shared this photo to some friends on facebook just the other day :)

10570324_10152580375561505_8205887545523929277_n.jpg

You're going to have some awesome raffs when those grow up!
Andrew

edit: This is an older picture from the parent plant of the plant pictured above:

P1010164.JPG

Last edited:
:drool: Love the coloring on those. The whites/Blood reds are just perfect

I've got at least one that may turn out almost as a "nivea," while generally the ones that are heavily speckled at this stage tend to become almost solid later on, so I've got the spectrum in the two pots of keepers. Also a lot of shape variation, from really squat to really skinny.

Gorgeous. Please let me know if you ever give one away.

I have some raff seedlings of similar size. These are a few of them. One year old now.
Raffpot_130814_zpsa04501af.jpg

RaffSeed_130814_zpsa134bb91.jpg

RaffSeed_1308142_zps8b940624.jpg

Parents which produced the seeds.
RaffFemLow_zps438c35bc.jpg

Raff161012_zps795819ef.jpg

Nice! Yours are a little bigger than mine (though age is similar, mine a little older), though separate pots probably have an effect on that. I have yet to even see stripes on the peristomes of mine yet.

Updates! They have continued to mature and diversify in appearance. Each pic is a different plant:

The fattest plant. The pitchers at this size are nearly globose

By far the darkest one, with pink wings and maroon mottling. I would bet it turns solid red or brown at maturity

This is the palest one, with faint red spots only barely showing now

Thats so cool. Their peristomes are getting that awesome blood red coloring too

It seems to be a shared trait by just about every plant too. Whether or not they're dark or pale they have that red lining.

Another update on these guys
The one I keep hoping is a tricolor :p
N. rafflesiana "dark brown parent" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The thin clone. You can see the red edge on the peristome very well on this one
The dark clone. Stripes are appearing, the mottling is getting thicker and darker, and that peristome is wicked!
N. rafflesiana "dark brown parent" dark clone by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Fatty is getting fatter
N. rafflesiana "dark brown perent" fat clone by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Very interesting mottling on this one, very thick
One of the lighter ones

My 3rd major batch of rafflesiana seedlings has also begun to reach sizes worthy of photographing, so here are a few. This was from a nivea-type plant, and though some of the seedlings may well turn out as such, the main way to tell these ones apart is the thinner overall pitchers
N. rafflesiana "nivea parent" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Most of my "spotted parent" plants are of a good size, but the pitchers are small due to some lower light. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few good shots soon though.

I know, more pics, but these plants just keep getting better.....
This one just opened last night. I don't doubt it will be nearly solid red at maturity

They are adorable - can't wait till mine are that big!

Can definitely tell they have a lot of promise!

Absolutely stunning man. Hands down the best Rafflesianas Ive seen.

Neat! I'm sure they'll grow to become eye catchers:D

No doubt... every one has the blood red peristome lining, and there are certainly some impressive variations in the color. If I had the room to raise up the other couple hundred I have I would just to see the variants, but I'd never have room for that at adult size.... :p

No doubt... every one has the blood red peristome lining, and there are certainly some impressive variations in the color.

The one you have with the stripes is awesome. Also, the one that you sent me has begun to show the same red/black
peristome trait. I cant wait

Last edited:
Back