What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie needs help! Trying to grow N. villosa Tambuyukon

I just can't help my self and I just fell in love with this species. So a bought this tiny but beautiful seedling. Has five awesome colored pitchers and one coming out. Now I don't want to kill it. My cool greenhouse where I grow my cool growing orchids is get 54 F or lower in the evening and during the day it is set at 72 F and may reach up to 77 F. Humidity is from 51 to 99. I water with RO but my misters and swamp cooler is tap (Reno has a ph of 8.8 :0o:). I thinking of putting it in front of the swamp cooler which I measure to have a temp of 70F during the day and humidity at 75 or higher. Any tips on how to grow this species.

Thanks in advance.

Ramon:D

15231120266_b5791189dc_z.jpg

15251029971_84527a76f1_z.jpg

15067428920_72108b67d3_z.jpg

This form seems to generally be more tolerant of warm temperatures, your current temps should be fine. However, keep a close eye on the acidity of the soil, if your tap water is that basic then the plant can perish quickly if its not getting a soil acidity of around 4-5.5ph.

Last edited:
Try not to move it. My N. villosa plants tend to do just fine when they are left in the same spot. Make sure it never dries out. Try to not get water on the leaves. Make sure the you have live sphagnum and something else in the potting media to give it some air pockets in the pot, e.g. perlite, bark, etc. Watch out for fungus. Try to provide good air movement, but high humidity. The cool nights you have will help. High light is good, but watch for leaf burning.

Last edited:
This locale is much more tolerant than the plants from Mt. Kinabalu. Mine put up with some very warm temps this summer and is just fine.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I got my quarterly water analysis and the results are ph is 7.91, Hardiness is 33.004 ppm and chlorine residual is 0.91 ppm. I do use RO to water them.

N. villosa (TY) 1 year growing

I was told to trim the moss around it and I decided to take picture. I think it is doing Ok but it is sooooooo slow!!!!!!!!! Now all my misters are RO water same as for watering. It gets occasionally fertilized with coffee. I wish I can grow it like Butch.:-(

Anymore tips?

N. villosa (Tambyukon)
21876607161_cdd2b800e8_c.jpg

21876597291_08defd71e0_c.jpg

Last edited:
Tips? Transcendental meditation will help you pass the time LOL! Nothing is going to make this species speed up. It could take a decade to raise an adult plant from this size. But I assume you know that.

It looks very happy, so you're doing things right. IIABDFI (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

Tips? Transcendental meditation will help you pass the time LOL! Nothing is going to make this species speed up. It could take a decade to raise an adult plant from this size. But I assume you know that.

It looks very happy, so you're doing things right. IIABDFI (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

LOL! Thanks Paul!

Last edited:
I don't want to be the one to burst the proverbial bubble here but...... it appears that plant may be N. x kinabaluensis, the natural hybrid of N.villosa and N.rajah.

yes that plant appears to be the natural hybrid I agree. The rajah is coming out mighty strong

That's a bummer!:-:)-:)-(

That's a bummer!:-:)-:)-(

you're disappointed about having a plant that's even rarer than Edwardsiana in private collections? :scratch: nah I know you're just kidding! :grin: here's my little pipsqueak from the same seed batch as yours.
21041899058_851b735da5_k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I bought a seed-grown N. inermis a few years ago, only to discover it was a very rare naturally-occurring hybrid between inermis and talangensis: N. pyriformis (or so I believe this is what it is). So, although I was somewhat disappointed that I didn't have inermis after all, I did have what was - at that time - probably the only specimen of pyriformis "in captivity". N. inermis was something I could easily acquire at a later date - but this jungle-bred hybrid is absolutely unique. I'm not going to complain!

PS: Of course, it was discovered later on that many of the "inermis" plants distributed from that seed lot were "pyriformis" and not inermis, so my plant is likely only one of dozens of unique clones of "pyriformis" in collections.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys! That made me happy!:boogie:

Ramon where did u acquire this plant, I'm sure the seller/trader would be happy (prob not lol) to kno they have given you such a rare treat of a plant!

Ramon where did u acquire this plant, I'm sure the seller/trader would be happy (prob not lol) to kno they have given you such a rare treat of a plant!

I cannot mention the vendors name here in TF but he knows about it and he has stop selling the seedlings.

I don't want to be the one to burst the proverbial bubble here but...... it appears that plant may be N. x kinabaluensis, the natural hybrid of N.villosa and N.rajah.

Looks like; quacks like; looks to be a villosa to me . . .

Looks like; quacks like; looks to be a villosa to me . . .

I disagree David. Having grown both plants from seed and seedling alike, this specimen is screaming x kinabaluensis to me. The lamina are exhibiting rajah morphology and generally at this size, villosa are already showing distinct ridges on the peristome which this plant isn't. In my experience (and conditions), color can also often a determining factor. If this plant came from where I think it came from, which I believe it did from this statement:
I cannot mention the vendors name here in TF but he knows about it and he has stop selling the seedlings.

then, all the seedlings in a recent batch of seed have already proven to be x kinabaluensis.

Last edited:
Back