What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NJ's Fantastic shipping adventure

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
Awaiting my new shipment of plants, I have been locked up in the house, quietly anticipating the shipment of a very prized plant.
These are the events leading up to my greatest achievement in a 4 year conquest to finally acquire
N. Hamata.

The day started off with a cool breeze wafting in from my windows.
I knew this was the day, as shipping had far exceeded its wait time.
I slowly creep to the living room.

333zo0y.jpg

A familiar friend greets me from the salt water tank. A timid watchman goby
eyeballs me suspiciously as he guards the shrimp cave. His flared fins indicate hes angry.
I decide to move on.

2kmogl.jpg

I reach for the door. The sunlight will burn so I must be quick. Time is crucial at this moment,
Not to mention radiation and the sun giving its various cancers, however I will take my opportunity.

2lu5atu.jpg

To much surprise, the mailman had already beaten me to the door
and dropped the packages. He must have had The One Ring. Sneaky
mailmanses. Not biggie however, no rads for me today.

50f62c.jpg

These packages are guarded by black magic. A shiny coating envelops the opening to these
boxes, so I know what I must do. I scurry off and find my coveted South American Banana Blade.
(Colombian if you must know.) This should do the trick and open these boxes with moderate hassle.

2ywv4p2.jpg

Indeed this was the correct choice. Peeling back the peel, the banana has fully matured
and gained its enchanted metallic sheen. A rare purple, I must say im quite impressed.
Well grown Colombia.

igfa6g.jpg

The black magic seal is broken! The blade smoothly glances along freeing
the plant from its enchanted prison. The hefty duty box also shielded my
plantling from the dangerous radiation of the outside as well. Perhaps
I shall salvage the box and use it as a protective plate suit on the next sunday stroll..

veslkn.jpg

Upon examination, the inside of the box is clad in more unknown symbols
and foreign dialect, undoubtedly part of the black magic which helped contain
the insides of this parcel. I must be careful myself, as this box could curse me too.
Im still wary of radiation.

wvsu2s.jpg

More witchcraft plagues this poor plant. However, I dont think the
Colombian Banana Blade will help me this time. Ive got to fight this one on my own.
So close I can see the greenery inside...

vn14t4.jpg

Nepenthes Hamata is finally free, and brought into the light after 5 days
of what I could only imagine as a nightmarish shipping Fiasco. I must work quickly,
as the humidity in the chamber which I performed the magic breaking ritual is slowly
degrading and approaching 40%.

25evk28.jpg

The plantling now protected in a hexproof terrarium. It will have to bunk with the King Tiger
and Truncata for a while in the Lowland tank until it gets bigger and can tolerate slight humidity
fluctuations in the Highlander tank. After 4 years, Its finally happened. More pics to come soon

:-)) that was great! Where cani get one of those Colombian banana blades?!

The belief that N. hamata cannot tolerate humidity fluctuations is a bit of a myth, with a basis in fact. It applies most accurately to very small specimens that have only recently been removed from TC, such as those acquired from AW. Once they grow larger than about 2", and have been properly acclimated to lower humidity, the plant will tolerate lower humidity/fluctuations. Your plant looks plenty big enough to me, though I could be mistaken. :)

I would go ahead and put it in HL conditions. The plant's need for HL conditions immensely outweigh the humidity issues.

Last edited:
"Sneaky mailmanses"
I died :-)) (theres ALWAYS room for a LotR reference :p)

Congrats on the plant! Just be sure to make a suit out of that cardboard before you go outside again!

Last edited:
What a daring adventure! :D I'm glad you got your plant!

what an adventure.

I thrive on the sense of pressure from finally obtaining a highly prized/rare/difficult-to-grow plant. It's addictive!

Recognizing what nursery that came from, their plants come pretty hard already -- an N. tentaculata Murud I got from them, which is a very similar species, didn't skip a beat and my RH can drop to 35%. You're probably safe putting it straight into highland conditions, as constant heat and humidity leads to rotten highlanders.

Bah ha ha! That was great and super fun! Love all the photos! :D

Last edited:
Great adventure Nem!

Hello everyone, glad to see everyone is enjoying the post haha.
Now that everything has been Un-quarantined, situated and Verified
I thought I should post some actual photos.

ali0s6.jpg
The Hamata itself.

50mhrq.jpg
One of the pitchers forming.

2ir5a3p.jpg
The most defined/unique Pitcherling. I love plants that have crowns on small pitchers.

2d11aoi.jpg
My 3 Highlanders.

The belief that N. hamata cannot tolerate humidity fluctuations is a bit of a myth, with a basis in fact. It applies most accurately to very small specimens that have only recently been removed from TC, such as those acquired from AW. Once they grow larger than about 2", and have been properly acclimated to lower humidity, the plant will tolerate lower humidity/fluctuations. Your plant looks plenty big enough to me, though I could be mistaken. :)

I would go ahead and put it in HL conditions. The plant's need for HL conditions immensely outweigh the humidity issues.

I give it cooling each night down to about 55 F with Humidity at 100%. And yes, this is an AW clone.

I thrive on the sense of pressure from finally obtaining a highly prized/rare/difficult-to-grow plant. It's addictive!
Man, you have no idea. MY list never seems to end, and that feeling is AWESOME when you finally acquire the longest coveted plant.

Recognizing what nursery that came from, their plants come pretty hard already -- an N. tentaculata Murud I got from them, which is a very similar species, didn't skip a beat and my RH can drop to 35%. You're probably safe putting it straight into highland conditions, as constant heat and humidity leads to rotten highlanders.

This is an AW clone, and I give it highland temps/humidity every night. Hopefully the IRS (Insidious rot syndrome) doesnt come and nab my plants man..

Back