What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I let my sibuyanensis continue to experience 95-100 degree days?

Uhmmm, so for several hours the sibuyanensis sits in temperature between 95-100.

It seems to be doing okay but I want to double check. I FINALLY bought a thermometer and hydrometer to put in the box. The humidity ranges between 60-90% all the time.

I thought highlanders can only do up to 95, is that a myth? Thanks guys!

It's home with super stagnant air
IMG_1920_zps9b30a5e1.jpg

New growth.
IMG_2375_zpsee44ad4a.jpg

New pitcher

IMG_2374_zps3925d747.jpg

N. sibuyanensis?! For hours at 95-100 degrees F??? NOOOOOO! 85F maximum, and for limited times only. Its NOT a lowland species, you know.

Last edited:
It's been in that condition for 2 months now. It seems to be doing well , no?

That leaf looks a bit toasty.

:)
I did suggest you dont keep it in that box on a windowsill in the sun before. I shall reiterate that advice

When kept too warm highlanders often do well for a while, then suddenly fall into an irreparable downward spiral.
the sooner you cool it, the better. 2 months isnt very much time for a HLer at all.

fight the urge to think that you have the only real HLer in the world that can live in LL climate :)
I also had a sibu (was among the first plants I got) that lived in a terrarium for a few months (and it didnt get nearly as hot as this one). it grew bigger fast, then started getting smaller. didnt pitcher. luckily, truly luckily, I got a GH and moved it outside... it took a year to pitcher and grow well. whats saving you here is the light and humidity, but the heat will get to it at some point - especially if it doesnt cool well at night

I'll try to find a better home for this plant.

I think ill either toss it outside or I really have to create a terrarium.

You could possibly get away with punching a few holes in that container about two thirds of the way up. That should let enough of the heat escape to keep it slightly warmer than room temp. Your humidity will drop, however. Whether it will be a significant drop depends on how many holes and how large you make them. A hand drill or (my favorite way to cut plastic) a wood-burner will work nicely. It's not a long-term solution, but should buy you time to make a terrarium.

You need to understand that high heat in very high, stagnant humidity is possibly more lethal than the plant undergoing drought stress in high heat/low humidity. You're essentially depriving the plant of the ability to cool down with the high humidity and raising the internal temperatures higher than you would if there was free-flowing, drier air. You should google "leaf boundary layer" to learn a little more about it.

Thanks for the explanation. Already moved it to a different place that's much cooler with same amount if sunlight. It's now around the 80's during the hottest time of the day. Am working on a terrarium. But i i may throw it outside with my other hl nepenthes first.

Last edited:
Back