What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hairs or no hairs?

I'm curious to know if there's a way to tell if a Nepenthes hybrid will get lid hairs or not. I have a N. (lowii x veitchii)-red x burbidgeae and it's put out its first pitcher for me but no lid hairs. Is it possible that it may in the future? Or if it doesn't have them now, I shouldn't hold me breath? ;)

Thanks for the input

I can't answer your question, but just wanted to say that is a very handsome pitcher!

There is probably not much in the way of prediction. I would just wait and hope. Great looking plant tho.

Unlikely, but I guess possible.

Most primary N. lowii hybrids do have hairs when mature, and some don't show up until the intermediate phase.

I don't think I've ever encountered a complex N. lowii hybrid with hairs, but a couple may show up at some point.

If you want to obsess about it, go here: http://cpphotofinder.com/Nepenthes.html and comb through complex lowii hybrids to see for yourself.

You'll have to wait till it reaches puberty to find out. :p

But on a serious note, that plant is beautiful!

Its very unlikely, especially given that lowii is only a grandparent in the pedigree. The lid bristle trait is very quickly lost when hybridizing lowii, even first generation hybrids.

Last edited:
I don't think it will for the reasons Whimgrinder stated, but my lowii x boschiana won't show hairs under its lid on the smaller pitchers. However, there are tons of them when it produces a larger pitcher. Only time will tell. Just sit back and wait is all you can do!

I agree with Paul. I have seen even many primary lowii hybrids display a lack of hairs.

Thanks everyone for the input! :) it'll be interesting to see this one mature even if it never does get lid hairs.

Anyone else have this hybrid? I'd love to see others.

There's no real way to know definitively.

I've found with some complex lowii hybrids, if pure lowii species is one of the primary parents then there's a good chance of getting lid hairs N. (lowii x (A x B)).

12651534145_74b072235e_b.jpg

11266310056_997b4561ff_b.jpg

I've seen two clones of N.lowii x (spathulata x maxima), the one I have clone (b) has lid hairs, clone (a) does not. So it depends on the clone.

8694954521_93beb6f56b_b.jpg

8696080564_cd6869edc3_b.jpg

There's cases where lid hairs, come and go. Often happens to me with N. lowii x truncata, as can be seen in this pic, three consecutive pitchers on the same plant

12472493875_91d890268e_b.jpg

And then on another N.lowii x truncata clone, they are seemingly always present.

14132638000_171a97ba72_b.jpg

I found it also makes a big difference on who the other parents is, as has been mentioned N. lowii x boschiana, makes no lid hairs from the plants I've seen, whilst in almost direct contrast N. lowii x spect, has an abundance of bristles.

8391039325_09d2d62110_b.jpg

8391031189_b129176a77_b.jpg

but in general most lowii F1 hybrids tend to have some hairs to some extent.

7746450318_1ed54faba6_b.jpg

Last edited:
You have such amazing plants Red lowii!

On your hybrid that sometimes has and sometimes doesn't have lid hairs, are the lids with no hairs completely smooth? I'm asking because under the lid of mine there's this fuzz, you can kind of see them in the pic below (they're white/pale color).

My other lowii hybrid N. (lowii x veitchii] x boschiana) x burbidgeae, has similar fuzz but located in a different area under the lid.

Last edited:
You have such amazing plants Red lowii!

On your hybrid that sometimes has and sometimes doesn't have lid hairs, are the lids with no hairs completely smooth? I'm asking because under the lid of mine there's this fuzz, you can kind of see them in the pic below (they're white/pale color).

I'm not too sure actually, if the hairs were not really conspicuous I didn't really look that closely, yours look great! Nice pics. I'll keep an eye out for the tiny hairs :grin:

Just a couple more ...

A few on this Nepenthes lowii x truncata:
2_zps4e031192.jpg

3_zps351e7cf0.jpg

and a N. lowii x boschiana:
1_zpsdac2d2f2.jpg

(two others of this cross exhibit very few hairs or none.)

Cheers,
Paul

Marc. Looks like killer plant guy had a Lowii x Bosch with bristles..I guess all are variable. My Lowii x truncata didn't make them till larger. I think light had a lot to do with it too.

Marc. Looks like killer plant guy had a Lowii x Bosch with bristles..I guess all are variable. My Lowii x truncata didn't make them till larger. I think light had a lot to do with it too.

I lied, you triggered my memory, there was a French grower that had hairs on his low x bosch a few years back. Low x merriliana is another one that is super abundant in lid hairs, prob more than any other lowii F1 cross.

Thanks everyone for the input. Love the pics!!

Back