What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Singalana x hamata hairy red

I am currently waiting for my N singulana x hamata hairy red to come in but want to be prepared for it when it gets here.
What conditions would best fit this little beauty? Highland is what im leaning towards but i know hybrids are sometimes more resilient to their growing conditions so i was curious about what more experienced growers have to say and get some peoples two cents.

img_6510.jpg

Both species are highland types. Nights in the mid to low fifties, air movement and good humidity. Pretty much describes the care for any/all highland types. :)

Last edited:
then would it be a good or bad idea to put them in the fridge at night during the warmer summer months, and cracking the window for them in the fall and winter?

Most refrigerators hover at about 40F or less, and THAT is far too cold for most any Nepenthes.

I don't grow neps, but it is generally not a good idea to move any CP around constantly, i.e. between a grow rack and a fridge every day. In the long term it will probably result in severe stressing.

I don't grow neps, but it is generally not a good idea to move any CP around constantly, i.e. between a grow rack and a fridge every day. In the long term it will probably result in severe stressing.

Not "probably" - definitely.

thank you, i would have stressed the young plant out because that was my first choice. What would be ideal for that situation in summer months then where temps are usualy around 65F at lowest

Would a regular a.c. work with a smaller room to drop the temps low enough? it gets to about 60F with that and turned off a constant 75F

Would a regular a.c. work with a smaller room to drop the temps low enough? it gets to about 60F with that and turned off a constant 75F

60F is at the upper end of tolerances, but its far better than 65F or higher. But AC sucks water out of the air so you need to maintain humidity. Not a problem if you have engineered an enclosure/grow tank of some sort.

I curently have a few pools of water around my plants for the added humidity and spray them three times a day. would that be enough to outdo the a.c.

I curently have a few pools of water around my plants for the added humidity and spray them three times a day. would that be enough to outdo the a.c.

Are you going to sit up all night and mist the plants to compensate for the drying effect of the AC?!

Ultrasonic humidifiers are available for fairly low prices. I would suggest you acquire one. :)

People often don't realize that misting a plant raises the humidity in the immediate area for about fiftteen minutes at most, then it's back down to 35-40%. Intermittent misting is just about useless.

Oooo that looks like a really good idea. How often would you have that things pray? Do you just point it directly towards the plant?

thank you, i would have stressed the young plant out because that was my first choice. What would be ideal for that situation in summer months then where temps are usualy around 65F at lowest

I put my plants in the basement, where it is always cooler, during the summer.

i am going to get an ultrasonic humidifier for the plants. thank you all, i got the answers i needed to give the plant its accurate growing conditions. Cant thank you guys enough!

Back