What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am i missing anything here?

Ok so i am receiving my N. singalana x hamata hairy red in a few days and i was just wondering if i am missing anything. My current highlanders are getting 3-4 hours of light a day, recently got an ultrasonic humidifier and already see improvement in most of my plants where the humidity is 70% + daily, temps in the morning are 75F-80F in the day and 55-60 at night. Am i missing anything crucial here because i feel like i am or am i over thinking it? Please let me know if i should do or add something to the set up i have currently.

3-4 hours?

depending on clouds or not. if they dont get any sunlight i turn on their 100 watt lights or a few hours to give them something.

That doesn't seem like much.

Nepenthes should really get at least 12 hours a day. They are from an equatorial climate where day and night hours are pretty much equal year round, roughly 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness.

I was hoping you actually meant 13-14 hours and not really 3-4. They probably will not live long with so few hours of light.

Last edited:
well they receive 8 hours during spring and summer but winter they are receiving 3-4 hours of direct sunlight (or from two 100 watt bulbs) and so far they are doing very well and continue to grow. I will just have to see if this will be the same for the new addition to the group

well they receive 8 hours during spring and summer but winter they are receiving 3-4 hours of direct sunlight (or from two 100 watt bulbs) and so far they are doing very well and continue to grow. I will just have to see if this will be the same for the new addition to the group

Nepenthes and other CPs often can take months to show declines from bad conditions; especially ones such as not enough light

There may be a misunderstanding here:

Are your plants receiving natural light? for the entire day (however long your days are) which entails 3-4 hours of direct light with the remainder made up of indirect light?
if thats the case - cool. a full day of indirect but still bright light is fine

if they are indeed in darkness for 20 - 21 hours of the day then you will encounter problems.
if thats the case - you may see them produce very large leaves for a while and then decline

Oh yes i apologize, 3-4 of direct sunlight and i havnt timed the inderect exactly. I would estimate around 12 hours of indirect sunlight. Thank you for clearing that up

Without supplemental lighting, 3-4 hours of good light isn't ideal. In fact, if the rest of the days is quite underlie, you are going to see far from optimal growth. My Nepenthes often get many hours of direct, unfiltered sun, except during July and August.

Back