What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asian pitcher plant fall / winter

Hi, so i brought my plant inside ; its hanging from a hook in a bathroom window.
there is a vent above the plant which is pulled close - any issues about the vent?
most of the window hits the plant with light, icluding the pods, but there is some leaves that are not. - any issues with that?

the plant has three pods, one is cut off from the top because during summer when i did get it hanging on the patio it started to brown, after that i put it outside.
but the other two pods are browning after a week of bringing them inside so i cut them off where the brown stopped; a side question what if the pods i have left die during the fall/winner months and i have
to cut them all off, is that gonna be a issue?

should this plant be sitting in a saucer.dish full of water, or is watering the pods 1/2 and the plant in general fine?

also i heard the you should touch the plant , as the oil from your hands will slowly kill it?

Thanks i hope i can get these answered.

Different species of Nepenthes (asian pitcher plants) have fairly different requirements. Posting a picture of your plant will help us determine the type and overall health of it. Generally speaking, Nepenthes bought from garden stores are generally either N. x ventrata or N. x miranda.

The pitchers ("pods") on the plant will naturally get old and die. If the plant is in good conditions it will make more. Even without any pitchers, the plant can photosynthesize like a normal plant, but having no pitchers is a sign of poor conditions.

Nepenthes generally do not like to sit in water, as it promotes root rot which will kill the plant rather quickly from the bottom up. In general, keep the soil moist but do not let it get waterlogged. An airy mixture such as 1:1 long fiber sphagnum and perlite will help keep the right moisture level and provide the roots with good aeration.

I do not think the closed vent will be a problem. However, next to the bathroom window is not the best place to keep your plant. I doubt it will get enough light, which will make it grow poorly with no pitchers (or die).

Lastly, handling your plant won't kill it unless you have something like household chemicals on your hands.

here it is

25gxspj.jpg

Last edited:
Different species of Nepenthes (asian pitcher plants) have fairly different requirements. Posting a picture of your plant will help us determine the type and overall health of it. Generally speaking, Nepenthes bought from garden stores are generally either N. x ventrata or N. x miranda.

The pitchers ("pods") on the plant will naturally get old and die. If the plant is in good conditions it will make more. Even without any pitchers, the plant can photosynthesize like a normal plant, but having no pitchers is a sign of poor conditions.

Nepenthes generally do not like to sit in water, as it promotes root rot which will kill the plant rather quickly from the bottom up. In general, keep the soil moist but do not let it get waterlogged. An airy mixture such as 1:1 long fiber sphagnum and perlite will help keep the right moisture level and provide the roots with good aeration.

I do not think the closed vent will be a problem. However, next to the bathroom window is not the best place to keep your plant. I doubt it will get enough light, which will make it grow poorly with no pitchers (or die).

Lastly, handling your plant won't kill it unless you have something like household chemicals on your hands.
'''

well as for the window/bathroom its that or in a basement hanging about 15 feet from the window.

Itd be useful if there was a picture of an intact pitcher, but that looks like the right color for Ventrata. If all of the pitcher need to be cut off that wouldnt be a problem becuase they arent neccesary for the plant's survival.

Itd be useful if there was a picture of an intact pitcher, but that looks like the right color for Ventrata. If all of the pitcher need to be cut off that wouldnt be a problem becuase they arent neccesary for the plant's survival.

THIS help? this is the pic of what i bought from the store

2iltsw.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I've been out a while. All of the pictures clearly show that your plant is N. x ventrata (N. ventricosa x N. alata). It should be very adaptable, as long as it gets enough light and doesn't get waterlogged.

Between the bathroom and the basement, the bathroom is better, but its definitely not a good place for the plant. The windows are also made of frosted glass, which reduces the light the plant gets even more.

Sorry, I've been out a while. All of the pictures clearly show that your plant is N. x ventrata (N. ventricosa x N. alata). It should be very adaptable, as long as it gets enough light and doesn't get waterlogged.

Between the bathroom and the basement, the bathroom is better, but its definitely not a good place for the plant. The windows are also made of frosted glass, which reduces the light the plant gets even more.

no, bathroom windows are the same all around the house, it was built in the late 70's and the windows never changed, but ok ill move the plant back to the bathroom. oh btw when the plant was outside during the summer, flys would attached them self to the end of a terdial with out a pitcher
and die stuck in place, what that about? i just took them off, and put them in the pitcher, lol

thanks!

Ah, sorry. The window screens looked like frosted glass in the picture. :p

Its somewhat strange that flies would die on the tendrils. Are you sure they aren't pests? If they are just normal flies you can feed them to the plant or leave them, it doesn't really matter.

ah ok, ya looked like a normal fly , btw i have a baby leaf with a baby pitcher coming in, is that normal? dont the leaves grow first, then the pitcher ?

Well Im only sure of one thing; Thats a Ventrata :-O

one thing that may help would to put it on a desk somewhere with good airflow and put it under a a t8 shoplight t5 if possible or even better would be in a 50gal fish tank under lights.

Back