What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Choosing Hybrids

At the end of this week, I'll be ordering a hybrid Nepenthes. However, I'm having trouble chossing which one I want, I like then all, but I can only get one. So I decided to ask people more knowledgeable which one they thought is best for slightly experienced newbie. The ones I like are as follows: N. ramispina x singalana, N. burkei x mira, and N. spathulata x campanulata.

Nepenthes Burkei x Mira will be a very hardy plant because it has Burkei in it. Same thing goes for any thing with Ventricosa in it. Those 2 species are almost bullet proof.

Last edited:
I'm really liking my ramispina x singalana. It didn't lose a single pitcher it was shipped with, when usually they lose all of them in the first month. Also every new leaf is inflating a pitcher. I'm really looking forward to watching this one mature.

Any one of those three hybrids will be easy plants to grow, but it's important to note that there are basic cultivation requirements this genus has that must be met for any hybrid to grow well: humidity, bright light, air movement and the correct temperatures for the part of the genus they are derived from (cool VS warm growers). You've stated nothing about the conditions you have to offer these new acquisitions, so I hope you've done your research beforehand and know what's required to grow the plants.

I have done my research, I've kept two Nepenthes before. I just had to sell them because I didn't have enough time and money then, but I'm doing much better now. I have a 40 gallon breeder set up as a greenhouse type thing. There's raised egg crate to keep the plants out of the water, and a heater in the water to keep the humidity up. The grow lights I have are giving enough heat, they keep the temps in the upper 70's. Also, I checked the website again, and they have some N. spathulata x robcanthleyi, I'm only curious about this one, would it be easy? I had a spathulata, and it grew nicely, so I'm assuming that the spathulata will balance out the robcanthleyi.

I had the spathulata X robcantleyi hybrid and gave it away - it had the worst traits of both species. N. robcantleyi perverts most every species it touches, IMO.

I had the spathulata X robcantleyi hybrid and gave it away - it had the worst traits of both species. N. robcantleyi perverts most every species it touches, IMO.

Can confirm, I am the one who he gave it to :-O I can post some photos of it Lithium if youd like, Paul probably has some too.

Heres my Spathulata x Rob
ZPsxmOJ.jpg

wsNJrd3.jpg

hwjZ9BN.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photos, cell phone camera.

Last edited:
^ I don't know, I kinda like the shape

Reminds me of N.'Judith Hindle' though I guess that makes since what with robcantleyi being so close to a highland veitchii.

^ I don't know, I kinda like the shape
I agree. I normally dont like any robcantlei hybrids, but that one has pretty awesome shape.
color is interesting too

Last edited:
I agree. I normally dont like any robcantlei hybrids, but that one has pretty awesome shape.
color is interesting too

Yeah, I personally really like the hybrid, but I also really like Judith Finn so my opinion is not very valuable.

Back