What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Budding Basal

Repotted one of my nepenthes and saw this a little above the root system

Is this a basal bud, and if so, should I expect the plant to have slowed growth or any other such symptoms that can be mistaken for disease?

Or is it just a newly developing large root?

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like a basal, but shouldn't have any long term effects on the plant, although it may slow the plant down until the basal develops roots of its own.

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like a basal, but shouldn't have any long term effects on the plant, although it may slow the plant down until the basal develops roots of its own.

I imagine the repotting will probably contribute some to that as well, root disturbance and whatnot. I imagine that those don't form/are the first to die if root health is compromised, yes? (Asking if basals = root health good early on)

Last edited:
You would be better off examining the roots directly than trying to dry a parallel between the formation of a basal and root health. Basals simply form due to hormone shifts, sometimes due to the reduction of auxins produced in the shoot apical meristem. We use the term apical dominance to loosely describe the process http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apical_dominance

It looks like a basal, but it could also be a root. My king tiger did the same thing, but now its got a massive tree like root
Smiting into the soil

It looks like a basal, but it could also be a root. My king tiger did the same thing, but now its got a massive tree like root
Smiting into the soil

Either way it is good in my book. I just was making sure overall it wasn't something bad. I didn't think it was, but I didn't want to take any chances

Smiting into the soil

LOL One of my Ventricosa x (arist x thorelii) has the same thing. Just a huge fat root.

Back