Likes Likes:  5
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: N. Red Hairy Hamata

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcons View Post

All that said, nepenthes from seed can be hit or miss. Even from JH, I have received some seed grown nepenthes (like this RHH) that do really well, but I have also received some that have died or struggled a bit to get going (Edwardsiana and Attenboroughii). The safest purchase for any nepenthes is always to buy a strong clone, and I am consistently impressed with the vigor from BE and Wistuba TC.
    There are good and many bad clones, as well; that vigor you've observed is artificial and generally short-lived; and is a direct product of the barrage of hormones these plants experience under micropropagation -- both during germination and under multiplication. In the years that I've been doing TC, I've had my share of winners and losers . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Ultra-highland" refers to the conditions the plants live in and not just elevation, and very, VERY few species live regularly above 2500m; many that live above 2,000 meters push into this category just fine. In some regions this elevation may be far cooler than others (particularly as you move away from being directly on the equator), so it doesn't need to be as high for the plants to be experiencing ultrahighland conditions.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true that the elevations don't necessary dictate the climate. The case of N. Rajah growing at higher elevations than N. Villosa on one particular mountain show this as well.

I do think that growers in the past have categorized rarer and more expensive nepenthes as ultra-highland where, in reality, the plants actually flourish in the same highland conditions as many of their wildlife neighbors.
    Have a wonderful day!
    - Zcons

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got one coming to me from jeremiah also a rhh x tentaculata that he bred i sure hope more crosses come out using this species
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh best of luck! They both looked like great specimens. Definitely post some progress once it gets going!
    Have a wonderful day!
    - Zcons

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234