What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the name of this N. ventricosa variant?

This is the plant that got me interested in Nepenthes, and Im hoping to be able to find one for sale that is the same variant, or atleast similar.
So itd be of great help if anyone knew the variant name! I dont think its the porcelain form because of the yellow and green body, but if it is then I guess Ill have to give up my dream of owning one of these beauties ???
f8070a.jpg

Nepenthes_ventricosa_ASR_062007_mayon_luzon.jpg

Last edited:
N. ventricosa Black Peristome?

N. ventricosa Black Peristome?

I was under the impression this was the "Black peristome"
nvent2.jpg

Black peristome is still a beautiful plant, and I would gladly settle for one if I could find one for sale :/ Theyre very similar, just a bit paler.

Last edited:
I suspect that it is black peristome, but under somewhat different lighting or cultivation conditions. Both black peristome and the plant from the second photo in the original post originate from Mt. Mayon in Luzon, Phillipines.

I suspect that it is black peristome, but under somewhat different lighting or cultivation conditions. Both black peristome and the plant from the second photo in the original post originate from Mt. Mayon in Luzon, Phillipines.

Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks a ton! Hopefully Ill get my hands on one soon.

Hey Sashoke, I'm not sure that this is too helpful, but most of the Porcelain-type Nepenthes ventricosa are from the northern part of Luzon, where the species was first described. Most of the N. ventricosa in cultivation in the US are from the southern part of Luzon, including the ubiquitous "Red" form. The habitat photo that you posted from Wikipedia is also a southern Luzon plant (from Mt. Mayon). It seems like in a lot of old private collections, there are a couple of pale southern N. ventricosa plants running around; cuttings come up for sale occasionally. If you know of any Nepenthes nurseries that sell N. ventricosa from cuttings, you could probably inquire for some photos of the stock plants and see if it's what you're looking for. My N. ventricosa, as you know, was a cutting from a botanical garden; it doesn't grow very fast or steadily for me, but I could trade part of it down the line if I figure out how to grow it well.

Here's mine again:
15695753527_126bbe99b0_n.jpg
15576298102_665fcc0fb1_n.jpg

Also, there are several plants around under the label of "Black Peristome" but not all of them are the same. The MT plant seems to be another pale southern Luzon type, but I can't really comment on it because I don't grow it and have only seen juveniles of that clone (it is, however, a known female). Remember that judging a plant based solely on a picture or two doesn't necessarily capture the plant's character. The angle and lighting can often obscure details that you don't notice or simply can't see.

Last edited:
The 1st photo just looks like a standard ventricosa to me. The 2nd one appears to be one of the Madja-As plants.

The source for the second photo has location info with it, so it's definitely from Mt. Mayon. ;)

The source for the second photo has location info with it, so it's definitely from Mt. Mayon. ;)

Definitely lighter in color than the Madja-As plants, pretty much the same pitcher morphology though. Don't think I've seen this locale in cultivation yet.

Just from a geographical standpoint, here's a map of the Philippines with Mt. Mayon (Tagalog: Bulkang Mayon) and Mt. Madja-as. The locales are not particularly close together.
15714832590_a45fb172b3_o.png

In the mountains to the north of Manila are the Porcelain-type N. ventricosa. N. burkei is found on Mindoro, so the Madja-as plants are almost equidistant from Mayon N. ventricosa and Mindoro N. burkei.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great answers! Clue that map is cool :)

The 1st photo just looks like a standard ventricosa to me. The 2nd one appears to be one of the Madja-As plants.

What do you mean by "standard"? I was under the impression that there is a ton of different variants but no original/standard ventricosa.

By "standard" I'm sure he's referring to the common garden-center variety ventricosa, the closely related forms everyone manages to have.

Back