What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lowii x sabre Dark cherry

Hello All,

I wanted to start a thread about this hybrid. However, I haven't seen to many pictures of it recently unfortunately. So I have decided to start a thread of my newly acquired one and hopefully others will jump in with theirs as well.

Pic taken Saturday Nov, 29:

2014-11-26 23.41.18 by majaco10, on Flickr

2014-11-26 23.41.29 by majaco10, on Flickr
If you look closely enough you can see the one hair on the pitcher. Hopefully there will be more in the future.

This is what mine looked like two pitchers ago, i'll take an updated pic on the weekend.

14930841419_40984a9cec_b.jpg

I've had a plant of this for about 2 years now and it has grown steadily but increases in size have been quite gradual, as one might expect, given its pedigree. It started out quite dark but as it gains in size, pitchers are more green, like N. lowii:
lowii-redcherry-sm.jpg

Oh - and a PS: mine's male and will be in flower in a few weeks!
Larger image available here.

Last edited:
Both plants are very interesting. How far away is your from uppers Whimgrinder? It looks like the wings are gone on it which makes me think its there or its very close. I'm surprised it hasn't produced a more lowii dominant shape if it is an upper.

Both plants are very interesting. How far away is your from uppers Whimgrinder? It looks like the wings are gone on it which makes me think its there or its very close. I'm surprised it hasn't produced a more lowii dominant shape if it is an upper.

I don't think uppers are going to happen anytime soon. I won't expect any for at least another year, really. Look at that pitcher - its barely 5" tall! Its still quite juvenile. As for the wings/ala: it never had any. My plant never displayed wings, even as a much smaller plant. With it being 3/4 lowii, that's not surprising.

Just look at those lid bristles! Wow.

Last edited:
flowering already? stress flower? and 62.5% Lowii ;-) that is if TM really is 50% Lowii

Oh - and a PS: mine's male and will be in flower in a few weeks!
Larger image available here.

Well here's my biggest.....???

15342122354_fe27b3f90b_b.jpg

Paul, I've got a ventricosa (c) female, the woody white form coming into flower in a few weeks, from what I've heard and experienced the alba/porcelain/woody white form of ventricosa flowers very infrequently and this has certainly been the case for me. Rare opportunity to do something nice with it, if you catch my drift :-))

Paul, I've got a ventricosa (c) female, the woody white form coming into flower in a few weeks, from what I've heard and experienced the alba/porcelain/woody white form of ventricosa flowers very infrequently and this has certainly been the case for me. Rare opportunity to do something nice with it, if you catch my drift :-))

Wait - what? Are you hinting at something here??! :scratch: Ha ha

Last edited:
I always seem to have this one in an area that is 1) too hot 2) too dry and 3) too confined. Haven't given it much of a chance to grow in the past year, but I'm still holding on to it for some reason.

N. lowii x "Sabre Dark Cherry"

Here's a photo from February, when I guess it was a bit smaller. I think the darkness is at least partially a result of how cold the temperatures were, since I kept the plants next to the window at the time.

N. lowii x 'Sabre Dark Cherry'

Last edited:
I always seem to have this one in an area that is 1) too hot 2) too dry and 3) too confined. Haven't given it much of a chance to grow in the past year, but I'm still holding on to it for some reason.[/url]

Matt, It's clearly time to let the poor thing go to a better home....

Wow, Matt yours definately seems to have the xtrusmadiensis peristome. Very nice!

Also Matt, you could use the room for another species, there's a few new "nice" alata types that would be happy to fill the space.

I hope they break all species into three or four different species. I can't find pleasure without the photo of a new species hanging above my bed.

Back