What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you encourage rooted cuttings to produce lower pitchers?

Hey all,

I've been growing Sarracenia for a few years now and have recently ventured into growing Nepenthes. I bought some N. x 'Miranda' cuttings in the NASC auction this year and had great success rooting them. The cuttings were received soon after the auction ended and rooted by about June. I assume the N. 'Miranda' was probably vining when the cuttings were taken, and currently all the rooted cuttings are producing exclusively upper pitchers. Those pitchers are great, but I'd really like to get some lower pitchers. Does anyone have tips or advice for making this happen? Is it just something I need to be patient with?

When a cutting from a Nepenthes vine is rooted, the resulting plant (if it was a tip cutting) will normally and naturally produce only upper pitchers. To get lowers, you would need to wait for a basal to form (not too long for x 'Miranda').

Laying them on their side or letting the vines droop below the pots rather than supporting them will help to encourage basal growth. Other than that, there's really nothing you can do besides wait. Some species and hybrids are very reluctant to even form basal growths from vine cuttings, x 'Miranda' however produces them readily.

Thanks for the info! Has anyone done any kind of pruning to encourage basal shoots?

@Cthulhu138: The plants haven't really produced substantial vines yet. Mostly just leaves with pitchers. Could I tip a pot on its side to encourage basal shoots? I might try that anyway since I have a few plants to spare.

Back