What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungicide?

My Nep seems to have a fungus, what kind of fungicide can I use? Would the Bayer one work?
762340334731a4dfab1b8b967dba3a1f.jpg

(Disregard the dead pitcher lol)

Cleary's 3336, Honor Guard, or something with Kresoxim-methyl are typically effective and safe for Nepenthes. None are necessarily cheap, all are toxic as hell, but they work.

dunno if that is fungus. black spots look like thrips poop. inspect leaves with magnifying glass.

If thrips, treat with imidacloprid. It wipes them out almost immediately.

Looks like thrips to me as well.

Diagnosis first, then seek advice on treatment. Its rarely actually a fungus that causes these problems - more often than not, its insect damage. And yes - I think its likely Thrip damage.

Thanks for the info, I honestly wouldn't have even checked for bugs but it actually seems to be mites, I got some on a utric and since the nep was far away I hadn't checked it for them :/

Neem, Talstar, Acequinocyl.. A few options for mites. Stay away from imidacloprid.

Yeah I already have neem for the other plant so I just doused it with that

Dormant member replying here...
I would like to note that I have experimented with a multitude of different fungicide types:
liquids,powders, sprays, concentrates, herbals etc.
My final 2 favorites ended up being organic products that preformed better than the leading synthetic formulas.
I try to use low impact methods in my greenhouses whenever I can,
and let's just say I'm constantly blown away by the effectiveness of my now favorite systemics.

I'm talking about Serenade Disease Control, and Actinovate.

These are organic/systemic fungicides that basically act as very suppressive and impressive "pro biotics" for plants.
The Serenade fungicide utilizes a concentrated solution of a special strain of a bacterial colony (Bacillus subtilus).
Boy does this stuff pack a punch...
It acts as a wildfire "infection" that just gobbles everything harmful infecting a plant.
Not only that, but during its feeding frenzy, it secretes polypeptides which go to work on the mitochondria of your plant leaves.
These essentially spill out structuring stem cell-like resurgences in the vascular and cuticle tissues of the plant cells.
I have seen: bacterial pitting, scarring, light damage, mechanical damage, normally fatal/dire infections, fade away on many a plant from such usage.

Actinovate is something I use less, but bottom line it is a long lasting beneficial mutualistic fungal spore (streptomyces lydicus)
You add it as a liquid root drench to your plants and this little fun guy goes to town!
It comes in a small powder solution that litteraly can be used to save 200+ plants.
The main reason I use it more seldomly, is because I'm not confident with how it acts on other bennifical/mutualistic fungi.
The Serenade however, has a half-life of about 15>30 days. I use it more frequently as my go to solution for:
crown rot, damp off, mold, bio film, mildews, rust and a multitude of other infections caused by protists,bacteria, fungi, and cynobacteria.

I hope this "tldr" is informative ;)

Last edited:
Back