What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found a caterpillar on my Nepenthes, should i be concerned?

Well, I started noticing black dots on my plant a few days ago. Now I realize it's bug poo... I think.

Then this morning one of my leaf looked really efed up, so I started taking a closer look.

BAM, found his little sucker. He also ate some of my baby pitchers and leaf.... :(

Sooooo, is it safe to assume there is only one? I also found webs on the leaf and on my sphagnum.

What to do? Thanks!

IMG_0136_zpsdmoupecb.jpg

Put him in an open pitcher. #circle of life

I released him in my backyard........

Light Brown Apple Moth? If so you probably would have been better off feeding it to the plant.

What to do? Terminate. Terminate with extreme prejudice. Pity we didn't discuss this sooner........

What to do? Terminate. Terminate with extreme prejudice. Pity we didn't discuss this sooner........
Dissecting scissors. Chop them in half feed to sundews.

Caterpillars aren't very complicated creatures. They don't climb a plant for many different reasons.

TF has spoken, go back out there and find him and sacrifice him to the mighty ventricosa!!!

:mwahaha:

Last edited:
They were able to evade the stickiness of the drosera. And covered with hairs that might render water proof so they float easily. Escape from nep pitcher. So, disable. Impede their escape

I've watched caterpillars fall into Nepenthes before and I did not witness them being able to escape. Maybe it depends on the species in question but the waxy zone did a wonderful job at exhausting the beast and having it just slowly slide back down.

I would capture him and try to raise it to full maturity. Dont see butterflies like you used to.

I would capture him and try to raise it to full maturity. Dont see butterflies like you used to.

Woah . . . mother Theresa over here... I thought this was a carnivorous plant forum!!

:mwahaha:

Should be easy. You know what it eats!

Well, as I mentioned before in other posts. I HATE MOTHS, they are disgusting and only eats dirt. There is no way I am raising it.

Also, I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this "Terminate. Terminate with extreme prejudice. Pity we didn't discuss this sooner........"

I should host a sacrificial ceremony!!!!! N-O-T!

I honestly thought about killing him, but ever since my last sacrifice ( a spider) I felt kinda bad.......

55467836.jpg

Last edited:
ITs not a moth. Why do you assume everything in grub form is mothish?

Killed a spider and spared a caterpillar? You need to get your head on straight!:slap:

Someone said "Light Brown Apple Moth", so I assume this caterpillar is going to turn into a moth.

Well, after I killed a spider I felt bad, so I've decided to spare all future catches. Unless it's a moth.

Back