What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help picking a nepenthe

• Thread starter jwalker
  • Start date
So I've been looking at nepenthe all day. Can anyone help me find a easy growing round or bulbous nepenthe.

Nepenthes ampullaria is pretty bulbous. I don't know if it is easy to grow though.

I would recommend an N. aristolochioides hybrid of some kind. They typically have little bulbous pitchers. There are N. glabrata x aristolochoides that are available in a couple places at the moment... should be a fun cross.

So I've been looking at nepenthe all day. Can anyone help me find a easy growing round or bulbous nepenthe.

What are your growing conditions, how large a plant can you accommodate, do you plan on maintaining Highland or Lowland climate conditions, and what is your skill level?

Skill level lol I've been growing cps for 9 months and house plants for years I was hoping to find another nep to grow as a house plant so temps and rh will change year round size really doesn't matter but I was hoping to hang it in a window my goal is to have 3 distinctly different news in the window

Here is my biggest nep n. Maxima x alata

I also have 2 small seed grown n. Reinwardtiana but they may not recover from shipping

N. maxima usually makes vigorous hybrids. I think there are N. maxima x aristolochioides available too. N. sibuyanensis makes bulbous pitchers as well.

I did some googling N. glabrata x aristolochoides seems about what I'm looking for its deffenetly looks Little a ball I have to look at the others u said

N. peltata, N. sibuyanensis, and N. burkei all have bulbous lower pitchers. Peltata is pretty adaptable to a wide range of temperatures (found from lowland to highland elevations in the wild), but tends to be on the pricey side, since it's relatively new. Sibuyanensis and burkei like higher humidity and a temperature drop at night, but are cheaper than peltata at least. Then of course, there's the obligatory N. ventricosa, very well known for its ease of growth and squat pitchers. Hybrids involving N. glabrata tend to have cute and bulbous pitchers, but are also somewhat picky.

N. attenboroughii also has very nice bell-shaped lower pitchers, but even if you do happen to get hold of one somehow, the thing is rather annoying to cultivate and grows slower than a bristlecone pine. I think the best candidate for a windowsill grower would be N. ventricosa, but if you want extremely bulbous pitchers, you'd need to go for something else. Good luck!

There is a plant that used to be called Nepenthes alata 'Boschiana Mimic' but the name was later changed to Nepenthes graciliflora. It's not a rare plant, but it's not widely available in nurseries. I bet if you ask around you could probably find one from another grower and work out a trade. Here is a photo of the plant, not the bulbous base of the pitchers. It's very easy to grow. I'm not willing to trade mine because it's one of my favorites.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice D_muscipula I really just needed to id the plants is wanted the fine it for sale thanks

Back