What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I see some browning on my Nepenthes, is this normal?

Soooo, the middle part of the Nepenthes recently started browning, is this a natural process of is something wrong with it?

I moved it outside 2 weeks ago after the cold winter.

Thanks!!

IMG_0313_zpsv4lyph9e.jpg

IMG_0314_zpsaxnkdxrl.jpg

As there is growth both above and below that point I am guessing it is the non-active portion the plant is turning into the classic woody vine we see in larger plants.

I would generally agree with hcarlton there but since there is healthly looking green growth below the brown it's a bit disconcerting.

I should think the browning would begin at soil level and go up, it seems to on my Nepenthes anyway. Starting in the middle there is a bit weird. I would be sure to keep an eye on it and at least it appears you have a basal incase anything should happen to the main vine.

Looks fine to me - if a vine dies, it usually turns an ugly black color and collapses( as I've noted on my plants). I have an odd situation on one of my nepenthes that's similar to this, but exactly the opposite - there's a green portion of a vine with healthy leaves sitting between two brown woody segments. I wouldn't worry about it.

By any chance, is that plant a ventricosa?

Is the brown section mushy? If yes then I'd be concerned, otherwise I'd say leave it and see what happens.

ya i was weirded out too because i thought browning starts at the bottom or top. Regardless, the browning part is tough as a rock and not mushy at all.

Thanks guys!

It's a ventrata.

Darn it, I was close...maybe I'll have better luck next time trying to identify Nepenthes without pitchers! (probably not)

Back